74 • Within her reach • 74

THE URGE TO RUN was hard to ignore

THE URGE TO RUN was hard to ignore. I'd learnt a little while ago that my mother had Mr Hudson in her pocket, but I realised that only now I may see how far her influence goes.

"Charlie, you're Moms been looking for you." He greeted me, stern features regarding me with disapproval. I watched him warily as he glanced from me to the boys and Jack. "She's worried."

I felt my eyebrows furrow together and I took a step back away from him. With one glance to my left, I could see his police car parked up. To my right, I could see the boat. The distance between the two were equal, he'd have as much of a chance dragging me home as I would escaping me on Jack's boat. Yet, I found myself wondering whether Mr Hudson may be worth my time.

"Don't talk to her," Harry interrupted, stepping in front of me.  "Whatever you've got to say, just leave  it and step away. Haven't you got a job to do that isn't bugging teenage girls?"

I raised my eyebrows at Harry's protectiveness, but I was glad for it. I'd never liked Mr Hudson, despite him being my best friends Dad. I always wished Joe would tell Mr Hudson what he thought of him so that he'd be forced to consider things from his sons perspective. Yet, unlike Harry, Joe couldn't just say shit to his Dad without Mr Hudson taking a stocktake. Whatever Joe got out of his father, he earned. I could only wonder how much shit we could give Mr Hudson until he tried to take.

"There's no need to get riled up, son. It's Harry, right?" Mr Hudson questioned, eyeing him and then the rest of us like he'd been clued up on all of our names since the beginning of time. "I'm just looking out for her."

Nausea burned in the pit of my stomach once I registered what Mr Hudson had said. There was no way he was looking out for me just because he was concerned about his kids best friend. The interest he was showing me had some motivation underlying it and the only person I could think would trigger it would be my mother. I bet she paid him to find me and take me home. I should have seen this coming.

"She's paid you to find me, right? My mother?" I questioned, glaring at him.

"I've got a job to do in the police department." Mr Hudson continued "Finding missing kids comes within my job description."

I rolled my eyes, not even trying to be polite to him. He knew we knew could see right through him. I just wish I'd seen it coming that my Mom might send him to look for me, but I guess I could see the benefit of it. It makes things clear to me that my mother will do everything in her power to have her way. When will I get to do what I want to do without feeling like I'm stepping all over her cracked glass ceiling?

"I'm not missing, I've been staying with my Nana, keeping her company." I replied, glancing at the boys. "I'm doing nothing wrong, I'm just out with some friends, getting ice cream."

Mr Hudson glanced to the boys like he was expecting to see Joe there, but he shook his head disapprovingly and then offered me a tight lipped smile.

"The thing is, Charlie, your mother is the one who has custody over you, not your Nana." He raised his eyebrows at me as If he was asking me, do you see where I'm going with this? I ignored his questioning gaze and looked away, but he decided to keep on talking. I'd forgotten how much he liked the sound of his own voice. "It's the law, Charlie. You're Mother is legally responsible for you."