23 • If a man talks shit, I owe him nothing • 23

CHAPTER Twenty-three • CHARLIE •

• CHARLIE •

The anger had cooled off slightly after a night's sleep. I'd spent the night talking to Joe and Taylor on the phone about the Lakewood brother's, Jack and Billy.

Taylor reassured me she'd be by my side throughout the dinner party. I also told them I hadn't spoken to Billy since before the game and how he hadn't responded to my texts. Joe told me not to overthink the Billy situation too much. He said Billy's just like that, whatever that means.

I was a bit disheartened by my lack of contact from Billy. He know's my stepbrother's had seen us kiss. He knows that. He knows my stepbrother's hate him and that I don't have the best relationship with them. Yet, he hadn't checked in with me about the aftermath of both of our actions. He'd left me to deal with it all.

Despite my friends' reassurance, I found myself today sat on the window seat in my room just staring at my phone waiting for the dinner party to start. I was basically watching over nothing. It was depressing.

"Charlotte." Someone said, entering my room. I looked up and saw my mother stood in the doorway.

"Yeah?"

"Just checking on you, you're the only one that hasn't come down yet." My mom replied, looking at my me curiously. I saw her gaze avert to my lit up phone screen. "Talking to someone special?"

I sighed, feeling the urge to want to talk about Billy again. Despite talking to friends, it wasn't enough. I wanted to know why I'd heard nothing. I was getting tired of feeling like I was being left alone in the dark.

Knowing my Mom was been aware I'd been texting someone, I figured I could be slightly honest about it with her. In the past, she'd always given me good advice about boys even though we don't always get along.

"Unsuccessfully." I admitted, looking at her.

"How so?" She asked, her interest increasing. My Mom closed the door behind her and walked over to my bed. She crossed her arms and perched on the end, letting me know I had all her attention.

I sighed, switching my phone off and chucking my phone on my bed. "I've had no reply. Since yesterday."

My Mom nodded, registering the situation. The glimmer of interest in her eyes faded into empathy. Lately, I wasn't sure she had it in her.

"Is this the boy you've been seeing?" She questioned.

"Apparently."

My raised her eyebrows. "Apparently? Did something happen?"

"No clue. I haven't spoken to him since yesterday." I explained, glancing out this window to look at the view of the back garden.

"Ah, honey. I'm sorry." She said, pursing her lips at the end of her sentence as she had more to say, but she fell silent as if thinking through what exactly she was going to say to me.