38 • Not quite a cheap shot • 38

I stood at the foot of Jack's drive in hesitation

I stood at the foot of Jack's drive in hesitation. As I looked up at the house, despite the smooth modern exterior and the odd warm light flashed on in some of the upstairs windows, it felt cold.

The concrete driveway leading up to the house had people scattered all over it, almost like the house was over flowing with people. Perfectly cut hedges lined the drive, leading up to the end of it where I was stood by the open gates. A glass plaque on the wall besides them spelt out the name Mavero. The plaque was just further evidence confirming what I already knew about the area of town Jack lives in and the money Jack's family have.

I knew for a fact behind the house was the ocean, the house wasn't right on the beach, but I could tell all that was standing between it and the beach was its own garden. I knew the end of the street lead to a beach, but it wasn't like the beach we had access to from our house. It was a private beach, for only the residents of the street — namely about six families.

I felt an arm sling round my shoulder and I looked up to see Tommy looking down at me almost suspiciously. "You're doing that thing again — you're thinking. We can't have that here. If you're gonna think tonight, you should go home. If, however, you wanna get shit-faced with me and forget everything, you should stay."

I looked at him suspiciously, "you can't hide behind that. I know what you're doing. You wanna get me drunk because you want ten bucks that didn't come from your Daddy's pocket."

Tommy scoffed. "You're trying to act like your money is better than my money? It's all the same money Charlie. It's our parents money."

My lip twisted. "Actually, my money has more symbolic value than yours. I worked my arse off for it. My savings come from my summer job, which unlike you I wasn't too lazy to get and unlike you I hate asking for money."

"That's how the world works until you're out on your own. We're in high school. What do you expect?" He shrugged, not knowing that Joe had popped into my mind. Tommy didn't know how privileged we were compared to Joe. Even if Joe had the audacity to ask his Dad for a dime, his Dad would only laugh at him and mutter something about having to work your own way through life. Joe had a very much I can get by on my own attitude because of it, but he also had an appreciation for despite the fact him and his Dad didn't get on very much, his Dad still made sure he and his sister were fed, had a house to live in and even a Dad who stuck around, unlike his Mom.

Taylor was a different kettle of fish. Her Mom was a shopping addict and would practically take Taylor to the mall every weekend and then pick whatever dress was
in right now, not caring the price and buy it. Taylor was subtle about it, but it was obvious when you saw her clothes. Although they were modest, elegant and quaint, they were high end clothes, which ended up at the charity shop pretty quickly when her Mom told her she was over whatever item of clothing Taylor was wearing.

"Now we gonna go in?" Tommy said, trying to lead me towards the house, but I wouldn't budge.

I turned to Tommy, feeling my eyes widen as a certain desperation creeped in. "Tommy I don't think I can do this." I said.