46 • A not so private phone call • 46

I decided I needed to face things with Billy sooner rather than later

I decided I needed to face things with Billy sooner rather than later. Once I told Billy we needed to talk, his reply was sure. I had sent a simple text after ignoring his messages. In my gut, something wasn't happy, and it manifested itself by making me ignore my phone. A bad replier, I was not. An avoider, yes.

I sat at the kitchen island on Friday evening, eating a chocolate pudding cup. Tommy was sat besides me, eating his second pudding cup whilst I carefully used my spoon to retrieve the smallest amount of the mouse to make it last longer. I used the desert to distract me from my phone that was buzzing on the counter besides me.

"Are you going to answer that?" Tommy asked me, watching me cautiously as I stared down at my desert, wishing I wanted it more than I did.

"I don't know." I pondered. "I'll either pick it up on the last ring or not make it in time and let fate decide whether or not I should take the call."

Tommy looked at me unimpressed. "You're really good at coming up with long-winded answers." He said, talking over the buzzing sound of my phone. "Aren't you going to look at who it is?"

I rolled my eyes in response just as Sebastian and Harry entered into the kitchen, each turning to the fridge or a cupboard to retrieve a snack or a drink or something of some sort.

"No, I don't need to."

Tommy raised his eyebrows at me. "Are you secretly psychic?" He asked me, wiggling his eyebrows.

"Yup." I replied, just as the phone stopped buzzing. I hadn't even got the chance to try and pick it up.

"Sure. You've missed the call now, anyway. You should have checked — what if they were dying and you were the only they managed to call?"

"Why would anyone call Charlotte? Some help she'd be." Harry scoffed. "Imagine, your avoidance causing the death of someone."

I narrowed my eyes. "They're fine." I replied bitterly, glaring at Harry before somewhat failing to not glance at Sebastian.

My phone started buzzing again.

"See! They're desperate to get hold of you!" Tommy exclaimed.

I opted to have another spoon full of my desert over picking up the phone and Tommy looked at me dumbfounded. Couldn't he see that sometimes you just don't want to talk to people?

"Fine! I'll answer it!" Harry said, irritated from the sound of the phone buzzing and answering without looking at who was calling before answering.

"No — i know who it is! Don't — it's —"

I stopped when I realised he'd put the phone on speaker and I heard muffled sounds come through the phone. There seemed to be a lot of background noise, a lot of background voices. But I wasn't sure if it was who I thought it was.