14 • saltwater • 14

I found myself walking down the beach with Billy Montgomery by my side

I found myself walking down the beach with Billy Montgomery by my side. When I looked over at the sea, I realised his eyes mirrored the ocean. Deep blue with ripples and lighter shades of blue made up his eyes as they watched me.

My heart kept fluttering when he was looking at me. He was paying attention like nobody I had ever liked had before. As he talked, I watched his facial expressions. I noticed the way he squinted his eyes rather than furrowing his eyebrows when he was displaying confusion or a conflicted emotion. What I loved most of all was that Billy would grin when he saw me smiling and his eyes would light up.

"So...where are you taking me?" I asked him as he kept walking seemingly to a destination, which I had no idea about.

"You know it, trust me." Billy said, his voice soft and mysterious.

"I feel like people say that because they just want to sound all cool and mysterious."

"Maybe I am cool and mysterious." Billy smirked.

I scoffed and shook my head. I couldn't let him know it, but I liked his confidence.

"Mm. I think I'll be the judge of that." I smiled, feeling a smirk tug on the corner of my lip. "But, so where exactly are we going?"

"If I tell you, won't me telling you defeat the object of the whole thing being cool and mysterious?"

"That's for me to decide." I said, shrugging. "You have to tell me so I can decide whether you've earned the title."

Billy raised his eyebrows. "You don't give in easily do you?"

I grinned. "Never."

Billy matched my grin and sighed, shaking his head. Then he turned away from me and pointed to a spot further down the beach. "We're going there." Billy folded.

I squinted at where he was pointing to. I could make out another pier in the distance. I recognised it as the pier that nobody really used anymore. It was old and creaky and the wood was probably rotten. The pier was a lot smaller than cafe rocks', making it almost unnoticeable in comparison.

I looked to Billy curiously. "What's so good about this pier compared to the other one?"

Billy shrugged, "nothing really. It just gives me a bit of walk on my breaks and the distance makes it unlikely some customer will come and bug me."

I nodded and let him lead me to it. He warned me about the possible rotten wood so I was careful where I stepped. We sat down on it close to the start of the small pier just to be safe, but it didn't stretch out far enough for there to be deep water below it.

As we sat down, Billy pulled out a cigarette and lit it. I tried not to roll my eyes when I saw him bring it to his lips, but I didn't say anything. It wasn't any of my business.