Chapter Twenty-Six || winners

MY LEGS WERE PUMPING, pushing me faster as I get closer and closer to the finish line, my opponents in my rear view

MY LEGS WERE PUMPING, pushing me faster as I get closer and closer to the finish line, my opponents in my rear view. I hear the chants and shouts of the crowd around the field, some familiar, calling out my name as I pull ahead of the competition.

My arms stay steady, not swaying from the path that is ahead of me, my mind is blank. Focused on one thing and one thing only. Winning.

My feet lunge to the line, my heart feeling heavy from the work I have put it through as I lay my body down on the hard, yet bouncy, track.

Once my body has recovered slightly, I sit up, leaning on my arms against the track. The sun is blocked from my eyes, making me look up, just to see three smiley faces.

"Well done, Adina!" Summer exclaims as I find the energy to get up from the ground. I smile.

"Yeah, no wonder you're on the team." Xavier says, "you're really good at long distance."

"Thanks." I look around the crowded field, trying to find the handsome face of my boyfriend.

It still feels weird to call Vaughn that, my boyfriend, even though that is now what he is.

When I told the girls what had happened they all started squealing, except for Sawyer. When she's excited she is a lot calmer than the rest of us.

It's been a week since we have come back from Teagan and Caspian's house, and I'm now at an athletics competition with Vaughn, Summer, Sawyer, Xavier, Blaise, Chase, and Caspian, as well as the rest of the team.

All week Vaughn has been so sweet. Carrying my books to class, picking me up from my classroom, and getting me my lunch, which I told him was not needed but he insisted.

I don't know how we've gone from only knowing each other's names to never being apart for longer than two hours, except when we have to sleep.

We've talked and decided that we're definitely not ready for our parents to know about us just yet, as well as the public, obviously.

When we tell our parents we can finally go out together in public.

The times when we have gone on dates were in the small town closest to Caldwell, and there aren't any tabloids or paparazzi, or even people with social media. It's filled with old people who have moved here for retirement. So, Vaughn and I haven't been that careful, but we're trying to be now that we're officially together. Especially around the school.

Because you never know who's friends with who, or if someone will spread a rumor about us and it gets to the media.

I finally spot him, near where all the shot putters are waiting for their turns. Hands-on his hips, eyes looking forward and at his other competitors.