Chapter Two || green eyes

I STEP OUT of the car and onto the driveway of the large, ominous building as Dad and Jonathan make themselves busy, gathering my luggage from the trunk of the car

The fresh smell of recently mowed grass filters through my nose, reminding me of the many summers I have spent at my grandparent's home in Italy. The only difference is that I was actually happy to be there, whereas here, I certainly am not.

The air these past few weeks has become increasingly warmer, but the breeze that wraps around my bare torso cools me down as my eyes circle the place I am supposed to call my new home.

A small lady, dressed in smart-casual trousers and a red shirt, with short brown hair grazing her shoulders, steps down from the open door of the building, gliding down each step until she's made her way to us with a smile.

"Hello, I'm Kat Thompson. You must be Adina?" She asks brightly, although the tone and tilt of her voice says she already knows the answer. Her wide smile makes my dull situation seem a bit better, her positive energy shining through her refreshing expression. I kindly smile and nod my head as Dad stops beside me.

"I'm her father, Vinc–" my Dad begins to say, holding out his hand for her to shake, but is cut off smoothly.

"Oh, I know who you are, I think everyone does." She laughs to herself before continuing, "and Samuel has already told me everything." Kat informs us as she shakes my Father's hand, which earns her a confused look from the both of us.

"I'm sorry, Miss. Thompson–"

"Mrs. Thompson," the lady corrects my father, prompting another smile from me, which have been few and far between for the past few days. I like this woman.

"Excuse me," Dad pardons, "Mrs. Thompson, I'm sorry but I don't know if I understand. Why would Samuel discuss my daughter with you?"

Her eyes widen in what looks to be realization before she stutters out a reply, "oh my goodness, how silly of me. I'm going to be Adina's house mother."

"House mother?" I ask, not knowing what she means by that.

"Every boarding house has one, you'll be staying in Artemis House with my family and me, along with a few other girls your age." She tells me and I slowly nod my head in understanding. "I'll wait until you're done with your meeting with Principal Davis so I can help you move into the house."

"Thank you very much, Mrs. Thompson, Dad says.

"Oh no, that makes me sound so old, please call me Kat." The woman insists, urging me to bite my lip to hide the creeping smile that wants to pop up on my lips.