Chapter Thirty-Five || never forgive me

WHY DID HE HAVE to be so

WHY DID HE HAVE to be so... perfect? Why didn't I know who he was? Why did our parents have to hate each other? Why couldn't I resist him?

And why did I have to fall for him?

These are the questions I've been asking myself as I lay in bed, listening to the sounds of raindrops landing on the window.

I've been in bed, staring into space, since I got off the phone with Dad last night.

My fingers tremble as I press on my Dad's contact, and soon it starts ringing.

What if he doesn't forgive me? What if he makes me come home? What if–

"You have a lot of explaining to do, young lady." I hear the sound of my father's voice.

"I'm so sorry, Dad. I fell asleep after school and by the time I woke up..." I trail off, biting my lip anxiously. Waiting for him to fill in the blanks. "I didn't mean for it to happen," I mumble, tears starting to form in my eyes when I hear him sigh.

"I don't know what to say to you, Adina." The disappointment in his voice is clear, but his sighing tells me he's just fed up.

I would be too, if I were in his position.

"Dad," my voice comes out in a whisper. "I'm so so so sorry. I− We−"

He cuts me off. "Do you love undermining me? I swear every time I think you're going to stop with whatever childish nonsense you always seem to get yourself into, I'm proven wrong."

I'm speechless. Dad has never, and I mean never, said anything like this to me before. Never acted like this before. Well, towards me.

Maybe Adrian, but never me.

From his first day of Pre-K, he was known as the devil child among the teachers. In his first parent-teacher meeting, Ms Williams called him that instead of his real name because she was so used to saying it.

Dad laughed. Mom wasn't impressed.

Even when we got to high school he never let up. But, of course, the one-time–

Actually... maybe the third, or even fourth time I've misbehaved or done something wrong, Dad acts like it's the end of the world.

Yes, David King is number one on his mental hit list, but that doesn't mean he gets to dictate who I can and I can't kiss.

Who I can like.

I just want to explain to him that I didn't do this on purpose. That I didn't fall for him on purpose. That there was nothing I could do to change the way I feel.