Chapter Twenty-Eight || getaway

"WHAT WOULD YOU like to eat, Toni?" I ask once we sit down at our table

Dad and Adrian follow along, flipping through their menus while I lean over to Antonio's side, showing him what there is to offer.

It's Saturday, so Dad, Adrian, and Antonio have all come down to the school to visit me.

It's just family this time, which I don't mind. I feel as though I haven't spoken to any of them in ages, and I'm quite happy to have a break from the craziness that is Caldwell Royal Academy.

And, because it's Saturday, it also means that today is the day Vaughn and I drive over to his family's Connecticut home. I'm excited, but also very nervous.

The girls have all given me a pep talk but, I still feel as anxious as before. I don't know why I am. I've been alone with a boy before, I've done most things that one can do when they're alone with a boy. So, I don't get why it has to be different with Vaughn.

Actually, scratch that. I do know why it's different.

I'm trying not to dwell over this weekend too much because otherwise, I would just start panicking, and I don't need to be doing that.

"I don't know." Antonio glumly states, huffing as his shoulders slump.

I glance over at Dad and Adrian to see if they know what's up with him, but Adrian hasn't noticed and is still looking down at his menu, while Dad looks just as confused as I do.

"What about..." Dad glances down, trying to find something a five-year-old child would find appealing. "Mac & Cheese."

"I guess."

I furrow my eyebrows as I look over to my Dad once more, to which he just shakes his head, silently telling me he doesn't know what's wrong either.

"What's up, bean?" I question him, rubbing his little back soothingly as he continues to sulk.

"Nothing."

"Well, it isn't nothing. What's got you all upset?"

"You know my friend, Skye?" I nod, "she's moving." Antonio pouts.

The last time they visited, while we were having lunch with all the girls, Antonio told me all about his new friend from school, a little girl called Skye.

He talked about their lunchtime adventures and small play dates that Dad and her parents would organize. What they would get up to and what they would talk about.

If I'm being honest, I think little Antonio has a crush.

However, he shut that down real quick, saying she was his best friend and he could never like a girl, even if it was Skye. Cooties and all that.

"I'm sure she can visit." I try and make light of the situation, but it doesn't help.

"She told me she can't."