Chapter Thirty-One || bonus chapter

[ SATURDAY ]

[ SATURDAY ]

AFTER EVERYTHING that happened at Teagan and Cas's birthday weekend, Xavier and I have been civil. I'm sure that's what most people would call us.

He apologized for pushing me in the pool, and for embarrassing me when we were younger – but I can't say I've completely forgotten everything that he's said, or done.

And, although I accepted his apology, it doesn't change the fact that every day I'm still haunted by his words. Every time I leave the house, whenever I'm with my beautiful friends, or just sitting in my room back at The Academy. I'm insecure.

However, I do have to say, he has been making an effort to be nicer to me lately.

Like buying me lunch – which I told him wasn't necessary – but did he listen? No.

He also insisted on carrying my books to all the classes we have together, and we've been going to the coffee shop near the boarding house to study. Alone. Together.

It's weird, I know.

Anyways, I went back home for the weekend, which I wouldn't normally do, but Mom insisted that we drive the half-an-hour distance to our second house in Connecticut, because going home would take too long and we only have the weekend to spend together before Cole has to go back to campus, and Maddie and I have to go to The Academy.

Madison came home with me after school on Friday, her small weekend bag hanging on her shoulder as we waited for Cole to drive past in his jeep.

Thirty minutes pass and we arrive. With us immediately getting bombarded by my Mom's kisses and Dad's breath-taking hugs, which are actually breathtaking. I feel like I can't breathe from how tight he squeezes.

We spent the rest of the night relaxing and spending some good old quality time together until Maddie's 'bedtime'. But, because she's thirteen now, she just goes up to her room and watches videos on her phone until 4am.

It's the next day now, and we're getting changed to go out for brunch with some family friends, and after that, we'll probably go down to the lake for an afternoon swim.

I decided on a classic black midi dress, with a v-neckline, white heels, and a few accessories, like a gold pendant necklace and rings.

"Summer!" I hear my Dad shout from downstairs as I quickly brush my curls out, "Come on, we're already late!"

"Coming!"

Once I get downstairs, everyone's ready, dressed in somewhat decent clothing. We clamber into my Dad's Range Rover before heading to the place where we're meeting the 'friends' at.