Chapter Thirty-Six || gone

[ TWO WEEKS LATER ]

[ TWO WEEKS LATER ]

SHE'S GONE. She's actually... gone.

We got home from school that day, and I had it all planned out. I was going to go to Artemis House to see her, tell her how much I want her. How much I need her.

How much I love her. Which was a new feeling and thought for me.

I spent so long fighting that feeling, telling myself it was too soon. That I would freak her out. But, I didn't care anymore at that point.

I love her. And I thought she loved me too.

But, obviously not. Considering she's nowhere to be found.

After walking through the door, it felt different. I–I can't explain it, it just did.

The entryway looked empty. Cold. And the house was quiet. Nothing like how it usually was.

Sawyer told me to wait in the living room while she brought Adina down to me. We planned to not spook her and to give her some time.

I sat down, fidgeting with my rings as I looked down at my chewed-up nails, which were the effects of stress and nerves from what today could lead to.

It wasn't long before I heard the heavy clamour of rushed footsteps, coming down the stairs.

Adina.

But, it wasn't.

I sat up, only to be met by the dirty blonde girl, her brown eyes furrowed and mouth parted in confusion.

"Kat?!" Sawyer exclaimed, walking hurriedly towards the kitchen. I follow, wondering what is happening.

"Sawyer, what's happened?" I ask, but she ignores me, continuing her way to where Kat usually is when we get home from school.

"Kat?" Sawyer calls for her again as she walks into the kitchen.

"Yes, Sawyer?" Kat looks up from where she's starting to cook dinner.

"Sawyer, what's happened?" I implore. She, once again, ignores me.

"Where's Adina?"

I deadpan, looking from Kat to Sawyer, trying to decipher what they are talking about.

Kat's face falls, "she didn't tell you, did she?"