Chapter Eight || looking

SCHOOL IS FINALLY over and I've never felt so tired and homesick in my life

SCHOOL IS FINALLY over and I've never felt so tired and homesick in my life. I miss my friends. I miss my family. But, I know I have to keep going and try my best to smile through my pain, no matter how much it hurts.

Now, Sawyer, Summer, and I are getting ready for athletic try-outs. We're getting changed into sports kit, with me choosing to just wear what I packed for PE, a black sports tank and shorts.

Earlier, when we were all playing volleyball, I kept feeling someone staring at me, their eyes making the hair on the back of my neck stand up in recognition, but every time I would look around no one was there. Except for a certain green-eyed boy.

It has only been one day since I started at the Academy and I'm already getting butterflies every time I see him. His perfect hair. His perfect face. His perfect body.

I've yet to see any form of imperfection on this boy. His short-sleeved gym t-shirt showcased his muscular arms, which were much larger than anyone else's I had seen at this school.

I can't get him out of my head, but I need to start focusing. I can't get distracted by... distractions.

Yeah, that's what he is, I think, a distraction, nothing more.

I needed to get him out of my head, and hopefully, some sort of exercise would do the trick. And besides, I've hardly spoken to the guy. I need to give myself a shake and come back down to reality.

I found out later on in the day that I not only had PE but French and Math with him as well. But, other than those subjects, I didn't see him again. Thank God.

"Hey, Adina?" I hear Sawyer call after me as I'm tying my laces.

"What's up?" I stand to face her, crossing my arms across my chest.

"The girls and I are going into town this weekend. Since we're juniors we get to go into the town sometimes. We'll probably go and grab some lunch and then spend the rest of the day shopping. Do you wanna come?" She asks, her tone light. Summer comes up behind her, obviously having heard mine and Sawyer's conversation.

"Yeah, that'd be fun. Thanks." I smile at both of the blondes, flattered by their invite.

So far I've felt very welcomed by this group of girls. They hadn't known me a day, yet they are still willing to include me in things they've probably spent weeks planning, and I couldn't be more grateful for that.

"No problem, Ads," Summer says, grinning up at me before she goes wide-eyed. "It's okay if I call you that, right?"

"Yeah, it's no problem," I chuckle, trying to soothe the girl from her panicked state.