Chapter Thirty-Eight || freeze

AS I WALK DOWN the small staircase, leading down to the ballroom, my dress glides across the floor, shining in the light of the chandelier above us

I feel confident and ready for what's to come. I just hope everyone else is too.

Arden links arms with me on my left, while Darius does the same on my right, squeezing my bicep to reassure me, knowing my nerves are going crazy as everyone's eyes turn to us.

Mine and Arden's heels click against the marble floors while Darius guides us down the stairs. Once we reach the bottom, our footsteps are silenced by a plush red carpet that leads to each table.

Per usual, Arden looks beautiful. Her hair's been straightened and her dress is a maroon color, designed to have an uneven skirt, the front of it stopping at the top of her knees and the back coming to the floor. The tight bodice presses against her chest, a small v-neck revealing the bit of skin between her breasts.

Darius is also dressed for the occasion. Smart. Handsome. And ready for lingering eyes. However, instead of wearing a tux or suit, like everyone else, he's decided to go for a plain black dress shirt, unbuttoned to reveal his tan chest as well as his arms, from his rolled-up sleeves. His pants and shoes are black.

His hands are adorned with rings, which he keeps fidgeting in an attempt to keep his nerves under control. It's one of his tells.

I squeeze his arm like he had done with me, trying to soothe his jittery behavior.

Once we make it down to the floor, Darius pecks my cheek, telling me;

"I love you, okay? And I'll be right over there if you need me," he gestures to one of the tables in the corner, where Blaise, Eris, Bea, and Caspian are sitting.

I wave to them with a smile. It's good to see them.

Blaise is wearing an all-black suit, looking as smart as ever with his Rolex watch, which Darius had sent him for his birthday a few weeks ago.

They're already one of the most good-looking couples I've ever seen. And definitely the cutest.

Bea is sidled up next to Caspian, adorned in an ankle-length copper slip dress and his oversized suit jacket. Caspian waves at us, the sleeves of his white dress shirt rolled up to his elbows, his arms on full display as he wraps them around a laughing Beatrice, looking down at her with so much love.

Eris jumps up in her seat, waving frantically at us. Her extravagant white dress reflects off of her shiny, bronze skin, and her hair is natural, curling around her shoulders.