Chapter 17 Part 2

David

When I came back home, Ava was not home. I tried ringing her a few times but it said out of service. I was getting worried. I was home and it has been an hour. I tried ringing her for the last time and she picked up.

"Where are you, Ava? I came home and you aren't here." She was silent. She didn't say anything and I called out for her name. Something in me told me that says something was wrong.

I could hear her sobbing and as she spoke, her voice broke down. She was not in front of me but I could see her bite her lower lip to stop crying. She was lying to me.
"Ava, Why do I feel you are lying? Were you crying?"

"I am fine. Why will I be crying? Now, Will, you open the door?"
I knew her too well to know she was lying. No, She is not fine. I can feel it in her voice. She laughed trying to convince me but I knew it was to assure me. Something is wrong. I open the door and hug her. She was tensed and I could feel it by the way she held me back."I know you are lying and you are hiding something from me. I don't know what happened but I will wait till you are ready."

She will tell me when she is ready and at that time I will listen to her. I don't want to push her to tell me.
In the evening I got ready and went downstairs to wait for her. She was taking longer than usual.

Then she came out wearing the dress I gave her. She looked gorgeous. She always amazes me every time and I can't wait to call her my wife. Yes, I am going to propose to her today. She came
stood beside me.

Something was off and I could feel it. It was all written on her face and it was since she went out. It upsets me to see something was bothering her. She was upset about something but I know she will share when she is ready. I know whatever it her mood will be better when I propose. "You look stunning like always but something is missing."

I turn her around her back facing me. I take out the box and then take a step towards her. I shift her to one side and place the necklace on her neck. I lean in pressing the hook with my teeth and I felt her body tense up by it.

"Why is this broken?" She asks as she sees the necklace. I take out the bracelet from the box. The other half of the set. I had it customized by my friend. Tears filled her eyes and she smiles. It wasn't because she was happy she forced a smile on her face to make me think she was fine."The other half is here. My heart belongs to you." I smile and wipe the tears off my eyes. I place a hand on her cheek admiring her face and then we left for our destination.

The whole ride she looked outside the window lost in thoughts. I take a peek at her in between to check her. She was debating with something that is going on in her mind.

I set up everything in the garden when we were official. I wanted to be engaged in the place where we started our journey from. I had the candlelight dinner set up and decorated the branches of trees with fairy lights and photos of us.
"It's beautiful, David. How do you manage to pull out dates like this? You surprise me every time." She exclaims. I bow down and smile but there was something that was bothering me and that was her sadness yet I decided to act normal. "One of my hidden talents. Let's sit."

I admired her face as the candlelight fell on her. I was mesmerized by her and from today on this beautiful girl will be my fiance.

"I want to say something." She says worry written all over the face.

"I have something important to say too but you go first." She held my hand and looked at me when the phone goes off.

I knew something was wrong. She was about to tell something when her phone rings. Probably a message from someone. I was hoping she would ignore it but she let go of my hand and checked.

She was never like this. We used to keep our phones aside when we were on dates. That annoyed me a bit. My curiosity was at its peeks. What was so important? I asked not wanting to wait any longer."Who was it?"

"I....uhmm..." She stuttered with her words and I held her hand giving it a reassuring squeeze. I so badly wanted her to tell me what it is so I can help her and be there for her. "I am here Ava, Tell me."
She takes a deep breath and says"I am sorry. I can't do this anymore."

"You can't do what anymore." I was confused. What is she talking about? I looked at her confused.

"This...Us..."

I laugh it off. She thinks she can prank me that easily. This was the worse prank because I am not going to be fooled by this.
"Are you done? I will not fall into this. Damn you had me there for a second. Your pranks are getting scarier day by day." She stands up from her chair. She had a serious look on her face and I stopped laughing."I wish it was a prank."

"How foolish of you to think that I love you? You are so naive David. You are rich, famous and not to forget you look exceptionally good. You were the total package and you were too naive to believe my act."
I couldn't believe what she was saying. The girl who spoke about how she never cared about money and fame is saying she was after my money.

"Being with you brought attention to me. I opened up my restaurant. I am successful now and I don't need you anymore. You fell for it like the others." Her face said something but her words said something else. She said all those things with a stern face. I would never believe it. I know Ava. "Stop it, Ava. I can't listen to it anymore."

"We had a great time together. You were too good and I can't fake it anymore." I stood up and looked at her. She was serious. I could feel the tears in my eyes and I couldn't stop them. Soon the tears fell down my cheeks and I take a deep breath trying to process everything.

The last time I cried was when she was in the hospital and it was because

I was scared to lose her.

In a short period, she became so important to me that letting her go and losing her scared me to death and now.

She turns around and was about to leave and I held her pulling me close to me. I cannot let her go like this. I place my hand on her chin forcing her to look at me. She bites her lower lip trying to stop her tears from flowing down.

 She bites her lower lip trying to stop her tears from flowing down

"I wish but it is a bitter truth you need to move on from." I move my eyes from him. There was no way I could lie looking straight into his eyes.

I let go of her and pull out the ring box from my coat pocket. I open it and show it to her. I was stunned by what was happening. "I was going to ask you to marry me and now you are telling me that you were after my status and money. I don't believe this at all."

"Look me into my eyes and tell me all of it was fake. All our moments together were fake. The first time I said I love you, Our first date, Our first kiss, our first dance at the Gala, and our first night together. You can't just deny it. I refuse to believe it. Our moments together, It can't be an act."

"You were too innocent to believe me."I was crying and pleading with her to tell me it wasn't the truth. That this was all a lie. I saw a tear fall down her cheek and she removed my hand from mine and ran away.

So this is what it feels like, the feeling when your loved one leaves you. This is why I kept myself away from LOVE. But when I met her. I don't know what crept into me. The moment I saw her I felt this sudden attraction I couldn't deny and eventually, it wasn't hard to fall for her. After all those times she is saying that She was after my money. No, I Refuse to fall for this, My Ava can't do this.