Chapter 7

Fourth period came rolling around meaning I had math. Meaning I had to see Levi. This was bad. Really bad. Anything or anyone that reminded me of the....thing that happened didn't sit right with me. After finding out about Levi and Petra, I couldn't help but feel an awful feeling slowly sink into my stomach. I hadn't slept all too much last night. I was up just tossing and turning, contemplating how this affected me and Levi's friendship. This ruined whatever fun relationship he and I had started to develop which honestly kind of sucked because I had grown to really enjoy his company over the past few weeks. I can't believe it had already been a month since school started and October was right around the corner. But, if Levi really is who Connie said he was, then he knows exactly who I am. Actually, that might explain his hostility toward me when we first met. Maybe he had grown to see past it when he got to know me? No, he couldn't. Jean said Marco had to convince him to not beat the living crap out of me that day. Maybe Levi was slowly gaining my trust only to stab me in the back later and then beat the living crap out of me. I was walking as slow as I possibly could, trying to stall. Each step seemed more painfully lethargic then the last. I arrived right at the door and my breath hitched. There he was, reading his little book. I bet he's not even reading and he's probably pretending to read whilst plotting how he was gonna beat the living crap out of me. God he's gonna beat the living crap out of me! Eventually, the overwhelming fear took over, the sight of Levi was too nerve wracking, and I couldn't find the courage to face him. So I turned the other way and headed for the back door. I was gonna ditch. I needed to finish writing the lyrics to that song I started a few weeks ago anyways. The band was really breathing down my neck about that but I had just never gotten around to finishing it. Yeah. That was my excuse. Mom and dad weren't home anyways. My mother was usually out doing groceries around this time of day on Wednesdays and dad is always busy working. And I know for sure that Mikasa wasn't coming home on time today because of soccer practice. Or was it football practice? (No we don't have a female football team but they let Mikasa in because she's just that insane). Once I arrived home, not only was my anxiety about Levi at an all time high, but now I was worried about my grades. That was a new feeling but now that I was doing well in school and my beautiful new guitar depended on them. Me missing today would surely have an impact on them. But when it came down to it, I'd much rather miss one assignment then give Levi any opportunity to hurt me.

The following day, I luckily didn't have math and I could go to school without the fear of being absolutely obliterated. I know he's relatively short compared to me, but man, did he look strong and I knew he was on the wrestling team. He had also previously mentioned that he was fascinated with the martial arts. Holy shit! Was that meant to scare me? Was I too distracted to see that as a threat? I wouldn't even really want to fight back anyways. Violence is something I avoid in general. So because of this dilemma, I found myself avoiding school altogether on the days I had math. I told myself I would eventually face him in a few days when I got my thoughts and emotions together. But I'd make that excuse frequently. So 2 days turned to 4 days, and 4 days turned into 1 week and eventually it had been 2 entire weeks since I had walked into Mr. Bozad's classroom. I still went to band practice and met up with my friends after school as I always did, but I never actually physically walked in the building. My system was working out so far. And I really hated that pathetic excuse of a teacher too. So it turned out fine. Right? Right?! Even if I felt guilty everytime I purposefully evaded math, this was the only way. The only way to save myself. But of course, just like all my awful plans, this didn't work out in the end.

I can't face Levi today. I just can't. I was walking home after ditching again, feeling guilty that I was going on three weeks of ditching. It was becoming quite excessive but it became more and more difficult to be able to even think about Levi. I didn't want to fail my other classes too so I'd come back during lunch and maybe try and avoid Mr. Bozad in the hallways.