23

'I think I could tell the wrong sort for myself thanks.'
_______________________________

'Scared Potter?'

'You wish.'
_______________________________

'Why so tense Potter? My father and I have a bet you see, I don't think you're gonna last 10 minutes in this tournament. He disagrees, he thinks you won't last five.'

'I don't give a damn what your father thinks Malfoy. He's vile and cruel, and you're just pathetic.'
_______________________________

'I'm surprised the Ministry's still letting you walk around free Potter. Better enjoy it while you can, I expect there's a cell in Azkaban with your name on it.'

'Just stay away from me!'
_______________________________

'Didn't mummy ever tell you it was rude to eavesdrop Potter? Oh yeah, she was dead before you could wipe of the drool of your chin.'
_______________________________

'Nice face Potter.'

_______________________________

'I know what you did Malfoy.'

_______________________________

'Why are you doing this?'

'I don't know.'
_______________________________

'What.Else.Do.You.Want.'

'To bloody help you.'
_______________________________

A squeaky noise coming from his bedroom door made him regain his focus and send himself back to reality. Draco was thankful that something or someone interrupted his thoughts, because he doesn't think he can bear reminiscing all those memories for another second without flipping out.

He kept his position still on the bed, laying on his back, with his gaze focused on the ceiling. Little did he know, it was already morning, so he may or may have not stayed awake all night like that.
Numb.

"Good morning darling. I see you're already awake."

He recognised the soft, elegant voice of his mother. She was standing beside the black door frame, a tray with a plate of toast, eggs, and bacon in her hands.

Draco slowly sat up on his bed and let his gaze meet his mother's. He greeted her a good morning with a half smile.

"Draco, you must eat your breakfast. It is obvious that you haven't eaten in a week." She pleaded, placing the tray of food on the desk beside his bed.

He had slowly began to lose his appetite day after day. The sight alone was able to make him barf, but he knew he had to, or at least try, for his mother.

Draco watched as she settled down on the end edge of the bed, she sighed, her eyes held a slight glint of sympathy in them.

"S-so, have you thought of what the dark lord said yesterday?" She questioned. Narcsissa loathed Voldemort as much as her son does, but just like Draco, she had no choice.

"Yes." He responded briefly, his lips forming a thin line, while his eyes held no emotions whatsoever.

"Draco, there's no reason to lie to me darling." She spoke calmly.

He shot her a confused look mixed with a slight glare.
"Lie about what." He actually knew what she meant, he was just trying to act clueless.

"I'm your mother Draco, you think I haven't realized that your image of the boy has... changed." She spoke.
Draco was aware of who she meant by "the boy".
Potter.

He swallowed thickly, not tearing his gaze away.

Oh it definitely did.

"I don't fully get where you're going with this, but no. What's done is done."
He lied.
He kept a blank look on his face in attempt to seem as frank as possible.

"What's that supposed to mean?" Asked Narcsissa, placing her palm on his leg.

What I mean is that there's no way in hell that I'm letting another something unpleasant happen at neither the hands of the Dark Lord, nor at mine.
And especially not to him.

Draco sighed and lied once again.
"There's nothing we can do mother. The dark lord demanded this plan to take action, I have no choice."

"I know darling. I know." She spoke in a soothing voice, and pity in her eyes.

They sat for a couple of moments in silence. The cold breeze of wind made it's way into the room, causing goosebumps to slightly form.

"So," Said Narcsissa as she cleared her throat, breaking the silence.
"You're implying that you have absolutely no problem with that task Draco?" She asked. She was aware of their obvious rivalry, but she also was sure that behind all of this hatred, was a slight segment of custody. Besides, they were utterly obsessed with one another for years, so it would only make sense that they could maybe give a slight damn about one another's lives.

Draco gulped, unable to think of something to respond with.
Of course I bloody do. My first and only intention was to keep him out of it.

"Listen mum, I really don't think that my feelings and tenderness particularly matter right now. It's Voldemort we're talking about, there's so way out. Except death." He said, but this time, it wasn't all a lie. He may have missed the part where he said that he wasn't willing to harm Harry in any way, but he was speaking his truth too. There was actually no escape unless you suffer something worse than death, but Draco wasn't disposed to just let it go. He may pretend to, but he won't, and he hated it. He hated the fact that he was willing to do anything other than let Harry die on his hands.

Narcsissa didn't say anything. She remained speechless because she knew deep down that Draco wasn't wrong.

She gently reached out her hand to her son's forehead, and leaned down giving him a soft kiss.
Draco flinched slightly, he wasn't used to this kind of gentle physical affection, but craved it of course.

"Tonight you'll be leaving back to Hogwarts darling." She muttered, giving him a half smile.

Draco only nodded stiffly. He of course missed Hogwarts, at least it felt more like home than here, at Malfoy Mannor.
But he was not fully prepared to face everyone there yet.
Especially not him.