36

"Just please take him back to his dorm and stay a while 'till he sobers up, can you?"

Harry didn't know what to say, his mouth kept opening and closing in attempt to speak, until a heavy breath escaped his mouth.
"Fine."

"I'll go find Pansy or something." Muttered Blaise. "The password to the dungeons is Pure-blood, by the way."

And with that, Harry briefly nodded and proceeded to walk away, brushing past the other boy.
_______________________________

Because of what Blaise had said, Harry thought that Malfoy'll be alone—since only the two of them snuck out—well he thought wrong.

Various Slytherins in his year and the year above were scattered around the scene with bottles of Firewhiskey and suspicious-looking tiny bags of white powder in their palms, and several wands cast pretty colours into the night to illuminate the scene.
A clever Muffling charm had been cast around the far parameters of the ground, so that the blaring music was only audible once you got through the magical boundary, but after that point, God, it was loud enough to blow anyone right off of their feet.

You didn't tell me it was a bloody party, Zabini.
Thought Harry to himself before his gaze immediately switched to a specific someone.

And there, at the centre of attention as ever, was Draco Malfoy, parading on the frozen part of the lake as though it was a runway.

"He wouldn't come back with us." A tall boy that Harry recognised as Theodore Nott informed him, striding over, Pansy Parkinson glued to his side. "He kept yelling for you."

"Yeah." Harry nodded awkwardly. "Zabini said."

"Potter's here, Draco." Parkinson called, and the blonde's eyes visibly lit up from across the water.
She turned to Harry, "Keep him with you, will you Potter? There's no controlling him at the best of times, but he's worse when he's high and he seems to have decided he wants you specifically."

Harry didn't know if he felt flattered or anxious at the moment, so he left no response and tried to ignore her comment and change the subject.
"Zabini's lookin' for you."

"Yeah, we're already heading back anyway." She paused, then proceeded.
"Can he stay with you 'till morning?"

Harry got the impression that she was palming Malfoy onto him rather like a mother dropping her hyperactive child with an underpaid babysitter.
He freezes just for a moment—he thought of refusing her favour but then something hit him.

He saved my life, babysitting him for just one night is the least I can do, right? Even if I'm trying to avoid him.

Harry nodded. "Fine," he said reluctantly. "I'll hex him if I have to."

Taking a deep breath, he slowly made his way to the completely wasted blonde boy.

"I bet you can't do this, Potter!" Malfoy called, attracting Harry's attention over the lake before executing a moderately graceful spin on the ice. He let out a loud, exhilarated whoop, and as he spun closer to the edge, Harry came close enough to see that the boy was injured.

There was blood on his knees, pissing through the material of his black trousers down to his ankles—and he did something far too unexpected but at the same time predictable to Harry.
Malfoy leaned in over to kiss the shorter boy, and as he attempted, Harry saw there was still a little powder on his tongue, the residue from his bottle.
He hasn't even bothered to dissolve it properly.

"What the bloody hell did you take?" Asked Potter in horror, under the gaze of about a dozen watchful Slytherins.

"Mmmm, I guarantee Zabini told you we took molly, didn't he?" Malfoy replied vaguely, lunging again for Harry's face.
"Don't worry mum, only a little at a time, just enough to keep me up."

"It's our bloody first day you moron!" Exclaimed the other boy. "Flint'll kill you!"

Draco laughed, and cast a surprisingly decent glamour over his eyes to make the pupils look normal. He battled them down at Harry, who didn't think it was funny at all.

His constitution must be insanely powerful to process all this shit. He thought in a mix of wonder and horror.
He's been high all night now.

"You're a fucking mess, d'you know that?" He asked. "Do you have any idea of how reckless you're being?"

"And you're fucking perfect, aren't you?" Malfoy beamed back.

There was a fine line between sarcasm and sincerity, and Harry had no idea where that sentence fell on it.
He sighed, his breath making dragon clouds in the frosty air as he did so.
"Are you coming inside?" He asked impatiently. "Because it's now-" He checked his watch- "Quarter to eleven p.m., and I don't want to be here, but in someway I don't quite understand, I'm responsible for you."

Malfoy grinned. "Do you have a more fun suggestion than this?" He asked, skidding on his cut knees in a way that made Harry wince just to see, though no indication of pain crossed Draco's face.

"I got the idea Pansy wants me to stay with you in your dorm 'till you bloody sober up." Suggested Potter.

"Why?" Malfoy frowned. "I probably won't sleep anyway and this isn't exactly my first time getting high anyway. I know what I'm doing."

"I'm sorry but I'm pretty sure you were the one who kept calling for me to get here, and I would rather be doing a million other things right now than this—so can you just fucking come with me?" He asked as he made his eyes pleading. "I'm really bloody cold and it's extremely late and I'm going to loose my fucking temper with you in a huge way if you carry on playing Angelina fucking Ballerina while I stand here."

"Is it not the best thing you've ever seen?" Draco asked, his eyes glinting silver in the moonlight.

"It's reckless and stupid." Replied Harry. "What if the ice cracks?"
He ignored the pretend hurt looks Malfoy threw his way. "You may well be manic and euphoric right now, and that's fun for you, but I'm sober and really fucking exhausted and I don't want to come over there and fetch you like I'm your fucking dad, okay?"

"You could be my dad, if you wanted to." Malfoy smirked, and Harry's eyebrows raised. He knew exactly where this was going.

"Yeah yeah, let's talk about this later, when you get to bed." He insisted, keeping his tone kinder than he really felt so as to make Malfoy listen. "But no funny business, just making that clear."

"We'll see." Draco replied, but Harry couldn't tell if he was being serious or not. He stepped off of the ice and onto the bank, much to his relief, but when their hands brushed Harry could tell that the other boy was utterly freezing.

"How long have you been out here?" He asked. Malfoy shrugged as he took a red lollipop out of his pocket, and slipped it into his mouth to calm his grinding jaw.

"A while," He said thoughtfully. "Not long enough."