8: This Phone Call

Don't forget to VOTE and add to your reading list!!

This Phone Call

"Woo! Way to go Warriors!" A burly teenage guy shouts as I pass by him in my car.

"We beat your ass Panthers!" His friend shouts to me beside him.

I roll down my window to stick my head out of the car. "I go to your school!" I scream at them but they are too busy yelling at everyone else to notice.

"Is it sad that I have been going to this school for four years and people still don't know who I am." I ask Ella as I get back in the car.

"It's no secret that the people at our school aren't the brightest. But hey at least Lucas knows who you are!" She playfully swats my shoulder.

"Are you ever going to drop that?" I ask her but I can't help the smile that is starting to form on my lips.

"No! He said hey to you in front of his girlfriend! That is a big deal Sadie. If a guy talks to another girl in front of their girlfriend than that means he's taking a risk with his relationship for you."

"No it does not Ella." I laugh while pulling out of the busy parking lot to the main road. "It means that he only sees me as a friend."

"Whatever but just so you know when I make a speech at your guys' wedding I will totally include this story and everyone will laugh at how naïve you were." She huffs leaning back in her seat.

For the ride home we blast Taylor Swift until she has to leave and take her phone. After that I just play my radio for myself.

I park my car in the driveway ready to go inside and sleep for the rest of my life.

However when I get inside I hear the television playing in the living room. Excited to finally see my Dad which is almost never because he has to work so often I practically skip down the hallway.

"Hey kiddo." He greets me as soon as I walk into the room.

Playing on the TV is some old black and white movie. My dad is one for the classics. I remember when I was younger he used to make me and my older sister Penelope watch these shows with him. It was boring beyond belief but as I look back now I'm glad he made us do it.

"Hi Daddy." I chirp sitting next to him on the couch. He wraps an arm around my waist bringing my closer to his side.

"How was the baseball game?"

I can trust my Dad a lot more than my Mom. He isn't half as strict as she is. He has even been to a few games with me but none this year because the season just started up.

"It was good. We won."

I made sure to text my Dad to tell him where I was in case anything happened to me or they needed me. See I am thoughtful.

"Is Favero pitcher this year again?"

Since my Dad is Mr. Favero's boss he knows who he is. Although I've never met Lucas's family. I think it's just him and his parents though.

"Yeah he is. He's really good too. He gets almost everyone out." I say proudly for him. It's sad really to be speaking like that for someone who isn't even my boyfriend or friend.

We spend the next thirty minutes watching the end of an old Sherlock Holmes movie. By the time the credits roll down the screen my Dad is out cold and snoring like a pig.

I maneuver out from under his arm and grab a blanket from the ottoman. I kiss him goodnight after I lay the blanket on top of him. He's already in his pajamas so it's okay if he sleeps on the couch for one night.