This Partner

Don't forget to VOTE and add to your reading list!!

"Today we will be choosing new lab partners," comments Ms. Richet.

I think that sentence is my least liked combination of words, especially since Mary Jane is my only friend in this class. Well was. Seems as though our friendship has been terminated because she won't even cast a glance in my direction.

"You may not have the same lab partner as before let me remind you. Now you may choose as I put in attendance."

As soon as she turns her back Mary Jane spins around as fast as Usain Bolt. "Be my partner Becky."

Helpless Becky who also gossips like none other and is hated by Mary Jane most of the time hesitantly agrees. I'm sure the only reason she said yes was so she could copy off of Mary Jane's homework.

I scoff as Mary Jane happily moves her stuff one table back. She won't last with Blabbering Becky for one class period.

Oh the things Mary Jane will do to prove a point.

I wait patiently as students walk around me trying to find a new partner. A shadow looms over me and I look up to see Blabbering Becky's male clone standing beside me.

"Do you want to be partners," the big mouthed boy asks with a wide grin.

Does he really think I'll be as stupid as Mary Jane and let him copy all of my papers while he talks his mouth off?

I'm about to reject when another person slides into the seat beside me. I only catch the color of a blue sweatshirt out of the corner of my eye but from the aroma given off I know exactly who it is.

"Too late, she's mine," Lucas says, swinging an arm around my shoulders.

I spin around to confront Lucas as the boy walks off aggravated.

"What was that all about?" I ask irritated and throw his arm off of me.

"I was saving you," Lucas says turning back to the front of the class.

"By possessing me? This isn't Fifty Shades of Gray, I don't find that stuff attractive."

"Good to know." He winks at me then his smile fades. "Sitting in the front is too weird for me. Can we move back?"

I look around the classroom to an empty table in the far back, as far away from Mary Jane as possible who is currently giving me the stink eye.

"Sure," I mutter. Lucas happily collects his stuff and even mine and prances to the empty table.

Before following after him I send Mary Jane a small smirk.

...

"I'm not letting you cheat off me."

Lucas stops the rhythm of his pencil against the table to look at me. "Is that why you thought I wanted to be your partner?"

I give him a 'duh' look and say, "Well it wasn't because we're BFF's."

Lucas all but slams his pencil against the hard surface and leans in close to quietly say, "I thought I was doing you a favor by keeping you away from that big mouth pervert?"

"I was doing just fine without you there. I was going to say no to him."

"You still hate me?"

I turn to look at him, our faces apart by only a few inches. "I don't hate you." I turn back around, crossing my arms and sinking into my chair.

"So you opened the present I got you?" He asks hopeful.

I sideways glance at him. "No I didn't."

"Good, then the present will make you love me." Without having to look at him I know he's smiling. That gorgeous smile that will make my whole day better, I know it. But I refuse to look at him.

"Only if I open it."

"You'll be missing out if you don't."

...

The cafeteria is loud and blaring around me. Girls giggle to behind me while reading texts off a phone. Boys argue over this weekend's Football game to my right.

And I'm sitting all alone in the middle of it.

Mary Jane and Ella have decided to continue to sit with their new found friends a couple tables over and Quinn has been missing all day. She's probably skipping school to do whatever she does with Bash.

Hating the sick feeling in my stomach when I think of the two together I throw my home made sandwich down onto my paper bag that is my lunch box.

"Hey, what did that sandwich ever do to you?"

Lucas slides into the seat across from me.

"I can't seem to get rid of you can I?"

He shakes his head, his brown hair flying all over the place. "I'm stuck to you like glue."

"Don't you know that I haven't forgiven you yet," I ask angry and annoyed.

"That my lady is why I'm going to be around you all the time that I possibly can and annoy you until you do forgive me."

"That's a solid proof plan."

"I know," he says, "it took a long time for me to think of it."

I can't help the smile that breaks onto my face. Lucas has always been so goofy and cute that I could never control the stupid smiles on my lips.

"Do I spot a smile," he says in a fake Australian accent. A great one at that.

"How did you learn how to do that so well?" I ask with my hand covering my mouth so he won't see my smiling lips. He can know that I'm smiling but I won't give him the satisfaction of seeing it. Plus I think there might be some lettuce stuck in my teeth.

"My brother and I used to have competitions of who had the best fake accent."

"That's adorable," I gush.

"Oh no what's even better is that we used to make whole speeches or sing entire songs with accents and my Mom videotaped the whole thing."

"I need to see these videos before I die," I demand.

"Well in that case," Lucas stands from the table and holds out his hand for me, "Let's embark now my lady."

"You're taking me to your house to watch the videos?"

"No, I would never let you watch my humiliate myself. Instead I'm kidnapping you and we're going on an adventure."

"You mean we're skipping school?" I raise an eye brow.

"You skipped yesterday." He shrugs.

"Exactly why I can't skip again today."

Lucas leans against the table so his smiling mouth and striking blue eyes are directly in front of me. "That will make this adventure all that more fun."

"Lucas," I begin to argue.

"Nope, I won't have it. I'm officially kidnapping you."

Before I can react Lucas is on my side of the table and sweeping me off my feet until I'm hanging over his shoulder.

"Put me down!"

"What kind of kidnapper do you think I am?" He asks as he carries me between the tables of high school students who have all stopped eating to enjoy the show.

"A fake one."

"Touche."

...
I'm sorry for the small break I took. I had to take PARCC testing this past three weeks at school (Yay America's eduction system...-_-) and I've also got me self a boy friend (eeek:)) he has taken up most of my time after school because that's the only time we can see each other but it's spring break and he's gone for all of it so I have time to write again!:)

Updates will be frequent for the next week and this book will get a lot more interesting... Are you ready? I know I am! All 41 chapters have been leading up to this moment that will happen in the next 5 so be prepared!!!