Chapter 33

Rubber walked along the outside with two dusty metal buckets in his hand trying to get water for a bath. He whistled the tune of this little light of mine he wore his overalls and his signature hat. Rubber walked along the field in the early morning. Rubber kept stopping a couple of times looking left and right. He felt as if someone was following him but every time he turned around... nothing. He'd hear thumping against the grass and the whooshing of wind. And occasional giggles. Rubber couldn't do anything about it so he shrugged it off.

Getting to the tap he hung the buckets on the tree branch. And went to turn in the tap. "Wee!" A girl's soft voice rang through his ears. The rubber immediately turned off the tap. "What the hell!" He shouted in fear. "It's is too damn early in the morning for these white folks to be messing with a black man!" Rubber yelled through the field making it echo. Nothing was said or done just a soft breeze of wind. Rubber quickly turned on the tap sweating a little bit he quickly rushed to go grab the bucket to fill and then turned the tap off. He took the filled bucket and then started walking away as fast as he could.

Walking away he slowed down calming his nerves. The rubber then began laughing to himself. "Wow rubber what a coward." He laughed. Rubber knelt down into the fields to properly hold the filled bucket. As he was on the ground a tin sound loudly rang through the field with the weeds blowing in the wind. Rubber's ears rang the beeping sound couldn't stop he reached for the back of his head and pulled his hand to his face to see blood. Ada stood behind him she didn't waste any time banging his head once again. Over and over and over again she walked onto his legs jumping on the and making them crack. Rubber shrieked out he was zoning in and out. Ada's hand shakily reached out to rubber not because she was scared but because she wanted to do more but she had to hold her hand back and let him live...for now. She dropped the metal bucket and walked away.

"Ruby!" Joe called on Ruby she quickly came rushing to her feet. "Where, 's that little jiggaboo he got to shine my shoes!" Joe said. Ruby had no clue where her son was it was like he disappeared. "I don't know where he is right now sure but-" "what! You irresponsible monkeys!! I give you a job to feed your black stomachs and you telling me you don't know where the son of a bitch is?!" He got in Ruby's face and stared her down Ruby looked down with her eyes closed. "Rubber is doing his task he asked me to cover for him." Betsy came running in rolling up her sleeves.

Joe and her made eye contact his gaze softened for a minute before it went back. "This better not happen again." He whispered in Ruby's ear before sitting on his chair. Betsy immediately followed him and went on her knees to clean his shoes.

The truth was not even Betsy knew where her brother was. She hoped it was a good excuse for all this damn mess he was causing.

"Seriously I really can't wait to come back!" Bart exclaimed through the phone. Wesley smiled bitterly. He don't want Bart to come back he was worried for his safety. Wesley could barely deal with Ada himself how was he going to protect Bart? "Actually your probably going to have to wait a little bit," Wesley said. "Why?" Bart asked worriedly. "Well... everyone is currently sick over here I wouldn't want you to get sick as well. Do you know? And plus scruffy the loss of scruffy might still hurt right?" He asked. "Huh? How do you know about scruffy?" Shit! Wesley thought it slipped out.
"Well, they are everywhere in town missing posters I mean like to look for scruffy," Wesley said nervously

Welsey said on the phone. "Aww man, Wes I don't care about that stuff. Did I tell you I had chicken pox once?" Bart asked. "No, you didn't." Wesley frowned. "Well I did and it was crazy the doctor said I could get through the hat I could get through anything!" Bart continued. "I think you can get through anything too," Bart said. "Really?" Wesley said. "Yea if there was like a zombie apocalypse or something you would definitely be the only one to survive." Wesley's eyes widened and his face formed a smile. "No way! It would definitely be you!" Wesley giggled.  The boys continued to talk and laugh on the phone for hours.