Sugar (Makorra)

Happy Valentines Day! Takes place in 'Welcome To Republic City' universe.
~

Korra Menzler bit her lip as she flipped the pages. "This is so..."

She murmured under her breath as she tightened the apron, and held the wooden spoon between her thin fingers.
Now she wished she hadn't denied Pema's offer for help. I

It was Lover's day, Red Day, Valentine's Day, whatever it's called. All Korra knew was that Mako brought it up by giving her a pathetic yet beautiful assorted bouquet of fire lilies and roses.

After an uncharacteristic squealing fit, Pema and Jinora discovered the stunned 17 year old digging around in the temple's kitchen. Korra sighed, reading the instructions again. "Why is there so much cocoa powder?!"

She glared at the measuring cups, and shakily reached for her first ingredient. "Two cups of cocoa powder..." She watched as the brown powder spilled into the bowl, and she moved to pour the second. She gasped as a large amount of excess powder spilled over the rim, and she jerked her wrist, as the substance roughly landed in the bowl and clouded over.

"Shoot!" She spluttered, backing away and reaching for her next ingredient. As she took the bag of powdered sugar, the phone rang and she yelped, dropping the bag onto the counter and frowning as the small crystals spilled unceremoniously. Sighing, the teen went over and answered. "Air Temple Island, Korra Menzler speaking."

"Hey. How's my favourite girl?"

'Why must he talk like that?!' Korra blushed furiously. "Hi, Mako. Thanks so much for the flowers by the way, I love them."

"No problem. I just decided to buy you some, you know..." His voice sounded hushed on the other line. "What are you up to?"

"O-Oh nothing."

"Alright. I was wondering if you'd like to go up to the Harmony Tower tonight."

Korra smiled at their last visit to that tower. "Sure I'd love to."

"Great, see you later?"

"Yeah, bye Mako," Korra could feel her chest heave as the scenarios were already filling her imagination.

"Bye, Kor."

Korra cracked her knuckles. She had a few more hours. Drawing her eyebrows together in determination, she continued.

~

'Don't worry, Mako. She might be delayed by Pema.'

Mako paled, as every person who passed him was either a young couple or s family. He looked and felt out of place by being alone.

He clutched the gift in his frigid fingers that were barely protected by his thin gloves.
Mako could hear rapid footsteps, and he whirled around to be met by a body slamming hard into his. "Sorry I'm late." Korra beamed up at him, kissing his cheek.

"Not a problem," Mako smiled. She wore her hair down again, and she was glowing in the golden light that radiated from the tower. "You're looking beautiful as usual,"

Korra blushed and whacked him, but grumbled when he easily dodged. "Shut up, that's embarrassing."

"How~?" Mako smirked, leaning in and grinning even more when she recoiled. As an attempt to diffuse the awkwardness and aching in her gut, she thrusted the box of chocolates on his chest.

"Ah-what's what's this?" Mako took the red box, lifting the lid.

"Chocolate."

Mako raised an eyebrow as he took a piece. "Homemade?"

Korra blushed, pushing a lock of hair behind her ear shyly. He hit into it, and she bit her lip in anticipation.

"Well..?"

"Not bad."

Korra straightened up. "R-Really?"

"Yeah," He smiled. "You should've told me you were cooking. For once, this tastes good."

She ignored his joke as she continued to pester him. "Is it too sweet?"

"It's just right." Mako grinned cheekily, and she gasped when he handed her a gift.

"You didn't have to get me anything, I mean-the flowers were a great gift,"
Mako gazed lovingly at her. "I wanted to get my girlfriend something special."

Korra blushed. 'S-So charming,'

Mako gestured to the box. "Open it."

Korra nodded, unwrapping the ribbon and opening the box, eyes widening.

It was a green crystal attached to a chain, and it seemed almost alive, with its beautiful iridescent glow.

"It glows if there's true love." Her boyfriend simple added.

"Y-You dork," She smiled, wrapping her arms tight around him. "I love it, thank you,"

"Want me to put it on you?"

Korra nodded, turning around. She didn't care if people were walking by, she felt an undeniable feeling of affection. She felt his gentle hands brush her neck and close the clasp.

"It looks good," Mako complimented, as the crystal glowed. "Let's go up to the tower?"

Korra giggled, leaning up to kiss him. His kisses were always gentle, and for some unknown reason, it became more sweeter when she was in his grasp. "Let's go."

She proudly notes that he pops another piece of her chocolate in his mouth.

As they walk hand in hand up the stairs, Korra felt nostalgia bloom in her chest.

'Mako, thank you.'

________________________

A/N: Happy Valentines Day!

That cruise oneshot btw is gonna be on hiatus. I have met a blank with that short and I'll continue it when my homework pile lessens. So these one shots will be regular one shots until further notice.

(Im a party pooper I know.)

BUT HAPPY VALENTINES DAY AGAIN(even though it's the 15th right now)

~animerei:3