You & I (Makorra)

Summary: Promise rings in Republic City are to be taken very seriously.
(Does not take place in Book 3 or 4. May take place in Book 2, definitely after Book 1-depends how you read it. Does not follow canon storyline.)
__________________

"It's been a long two years hasn't it?" Korra murmured, sipping a glass of cold water.

Mako hummed in response, scanning the bill.

She played with the edge of her purse, borrowed from Asami for the occasion. "You know...we didn't have to go out if you didn't want to. We could've just stayed at your place-"

Mako chuckled, lifting his eyes to meet hers. "I decided to take you out. I have a surprise for you after this."

Korra blushed. "Y-You do?"

"I do," He teased, flagging a waiter down.

~

'What could his surprise be?' Korra gnawed her lip as they strolled on the sidewalk, still wet with rainwater that had fell hours back.

Her thoughts wandered as she brainstormed possibilities of surprises from Mako.

'New clothes? No...Mako knows I'm not a stylized person.'

'Maybe some of those rice cakes I really love? Or the ice cream that dude sells on the street?'

'Or, maybe he doesn't wanna give me a thing. He wants to give me news...'

'What if he says he's found somebody else?'

'What if he tells me that I actually suck at being his girlfriend and wishes we were never together??'

'What if he wants this to be our final date?!'

'Maybe he wants to break up with me! No!!'

"We're here," Mako's voice snapped her out of the rambling thoughts that rushed through her brain.

"Huh? We're at the park," Korra couldn't believe how hushed her voice was.

"Exactly." Mako smiled. The fountain glistened in the forming moonlight, the small mist particles sparkling like dust.

The setting was utterly beautiful. Korra's heart pounded. "This is amazing,"
'And an amazing place to break up with me and leave me to drown in my tears,'

"Can you close your eyes for me?" Mako asked gently.

Korra suddenly froze and heard silence. Was the park this empty looking before?

"O-Okay."

She felt chills run up her spine. He was gonna do it. He was going to break the news to her. She wasn't a good enough date, she was an annoying girlfrie-

"Korra, just follow my lead. Alright?"

Korra nodded, eyes scrunched shut. His heavy hands clasped over her bare shoulders and she felt herself being led somewhere. The ground beneath her feet changed from hard concrete to wet grass. Then, his hands left her.

'Did he actually leave...? What is he doing?' She berated herself for being so selfish, but she felt the urge to expect the worse.

Suddenly, a cool, hard metal was being slid up her ring finger, fitting snug at the base of her knuckle.

Unable to keep her eyes shut, she opened her eyes and was immediately greeted with a kiss, soft and warm against her lips. She blushed and closed her eyes again, and she felt his hand hold her fingers, rubbing the ring that rested on her skin.

Pulling away, she gazed confusedly into his eyes. "Mako...is this..?"

Mako shook his head. "It's not an engagement ring, don't worry. I had a feeling we were a bit too young to get married," he laughed.

She lifted her hand and examined the silver ring, adorned with crystals. "Wow...this must've cost a fortune,"

"Nah." Mako teased. "The guy at the store gave me a discount."

Smiling at his quip, Korra flexed her fingers, watching the moon reflect on the silver. "So if this isn't an engagement ring...what is it?"

"It's a promise ring."

Korra stared up at Mako.
He continued. "Couples give it to each other. It's not a purity or engagement ring-its just a commitment of love to each other. To keep it and preserve it so the love lasts."

Korra felt herself turn unbelievably red. "Really?"

Mako nodded, reaching for her hands. "I want to tell you that two years together is still early. But I do promise that I'll always love you, and I will do it with the best of my ability. I'm going to show you that I only love you."

Tears of embarrassment sprung at the Avatar's eyelids, as she attempted to hold them back.

"...Korra?" Mako became flustered, unable to look at her without blushing hard. "I know it may seem corny...but-"

"It's not," she wiped her tears, as they dripped down her chin. A smile was fixated on her features. "This is the nicest thing any guy has done for me. It means alot. But I feel so bad because before you gave me this, I was fearing the worst."

"The worst...?"

"I thought you were breaking up with me," she sniffled sheepishly. Mako struggled not to laugh at his girlfriend. He cupped her cheeks and brushed the remaining moisture away, kissing her sweetly.

Afterward, she mustered the strength to hug him tight, smiling ear-to-ear as she saw Mako wearing a matching ring. She nuzzled her nose in his shoulder and closed her eyes, feeling her surroundings block out.

"I really love you." Korra grinned, whispering in his ear.

"I love you more," Mako murmured, a gleeful tone in his words.

Korra sighed happily, resting her cheek on his chest.

She couldn't imagine a scenario that was more perfect than this.

~~~

Years later, the future bride experienced the most flawless event. She nearly fainted when her lover proposed in a candle lit setting.

She believed love would last forever with them.

Her speculations were more than true as she walked down the altar months after, greeting her amber-eyes husband with a smile.

~~~

'You and I together, it just feels so right...'

__________________

A/N: what a great song quote thingy to end a fluffy one-shot

to clear up confusion-yes, Korra and Mako married in the end because they promised their love to each other.
Idk how promise rings work, some say they mean to stay pure until marriage,
Idk... I put my own twist to it :P

Anyway, the song lyrics are from 'You and I' (wow creative oops my fault) by 2NE1's Park Bom. Those lyrics are the English chorus but eh the rest is in korean but i like it ^_^

Halfway through my other chapter for the WTRC, so expect that soon!

Enjoy this oneshot-see y'all in the next one :)

~animerei:3