Never Gone (Makorra)

A/N: head canon where mako actually dies from the blast and Korra meets him in the spirit world....ye I think I wrote something like this only he lived....whatever enjoy!

___________________

Bolin was flipping rocks over and kicking the charred rubble aside. Green eyes were welling with tears as no trace of his brother was present.

"Bolin," Asami placed a hand in his shoulder. "We've been searching for a while...I think we should-"

"No!" He replied with a weakened yell, taking her aback. He bit his lip, slightly ashamed of showing anger to the Sato heiress. "This is my brother we're looking for. The man who was always there for me, and held everyone's burdens. I won't stop searching for him, even if it takes me weeks!"

Asami felt her throat tighten and nodded. "O-Okay. I'm sorry."

She walked over to Korra, who was preparing to hop into her air glider and do an overhead search. "He won't stop, Korra. I'm exhausted."

The waterbender gave a small smile. "I know, but I wouldn't quarrel with Bolin...Mako was like his other half. We have to sympathize with him."

Asami nodded. "I'll go see how Opal's doing with the others in the shelter. Don't stay out too long," And with that, she watched Korra soar off into the air, into the evening sky.

~

Was he dead? Really gone? What if he was...

Bolin snivelled and wiped away the flow of tears that dripped down his cheeks. 'I never should have let Mako do that on his own.'

He kicked at the metal plates that stuck up from the ground. He smelled the scent of burning hair, dry air. His hair began to react to a bit of static electricity.

Heart seizing, Bolin scrambled to where the burn marks were more significant on the rocks and steel shards. An arm.
"Mako?!" He cried, unable to muster anything else but his brother's name.

He sloppily bent off the debris and stopped when he saw blood smeared on the concrete.

"Mako!" He gasped.

Bolin knelt down and shakily examined the body. His arm was charred, and looked like it could no longer be used. Blood dripped down his forehead and more pooled by his chest...by his heart. His face was covered in dirt and cuts, and when Bolin cradled him, he expected his caring eyes to open.

They didn't.

Hearing a rush of wind, Bolin snapped his head up to look at the flying figure, circulating back and forth in the sky.

"K-Korra! Korra! Come down!" He sat up, desperately trying to beckon his friend down. "Please!"

Relieved, she noticed him and and landed a few meters away. Bolin guessed she saw Mako, as her glider fell from her hands and she bolted over, nearly tripping over the rocks. If Mako were awake, he'd scold her for being reckless and made her walk slower.

"Oh my spirits," Korra gasped, before releasing a panicked shriek. "Mako!"

Bolin was aware that he was close to distantly sobbing, but he held in the last bit of composure as Korra hovered over her brother, almost afraid to touch him.

Her eyes were glassy, as shaking hands gently felt Mako's ravaged arm, before touching the blood that stained his uniform. Korra slowly unbuttoned his shirt, to reveal a hideous burn with an enormous gash. 'He was struck in a vital spot!'

Bolin covered his mouth and hunched over, silent wails leaking between his lips.

"Korra," He said, voice cracking. "M-Mako, h-he-"