Misunderstanding (Makorra)

Summary: A seven year old Korra sees eight year old Asami and Mako together.
__________________

Since Asami didn't want to play tag, and neither did Mako, Bolin and Korra a were laughing as one ran from the other.

They dash through the thin trees and the shallow bushes, as Korra attempts to grab Bolin's shirt.

"I'll get you, Bo!" Korra giggled.

Bolin stumbled, and Korra touched his back, grinning triumphantly. "Tag, you're it!"

She squealed as Bolin ran after her, roaring playfully and trying to scare her.

Korra jumped out from the bushes, as Bolin was already close on her trail, but she saw her best friend and Mako while she ran past...

They were smiling at each other. Mako was grinning at her while Asami seemed to be laughing at something he said. And they both had Popsicles in hand.

The young firebender did not notice his friend stand near them, watching him converse with Asami.

With a yell, Bolin leapt out and jabbed Korra. "Tag! You're-Korra..?"

Korra stood there. Watching them speak enthusiastically. Why does Asami get to talk to Mako so easily? Why doesn't Mako know that she's witnessing this all?

As her lip trembled and eyes blurred, she ran.

~

"Where's Korra?" Mako stood up as his 6 year old brother was absentmindedly picking at grass. "We gotta go home or else mama will get mad,"

"Yeah, I saw her run somewhere," Asami frowned.

The eight year old firebender scanned the park before spotting her ponytail peeking out from behind the fountain.

"Korra was crying," Bolin blurted out innocently. "I think you made her cry," Bolin said thoughtfully. "Or maybe Asami did."

Mako frowned. "Don't worry, I'll talk to her."

Once he rounded the corner, his best friend was indeed crying. She was sniffling and wiping wet tears away.

"Korra?" Mako said, sitting beside her.

"What," Korra sniffed.

"I-It's time to go,"

"I'm not going home with you." Korra pouted, crossing her arms. "Or Asami."

"Why?"

"Because," Korra whimpered. "I was playing with Bolin, and I see you guys having fun without me, and sharing popsicles," She blushed, fisting away more tears.

Mako flushed red. How was he supposed to react to this...?

"Well...you could've just came and sat with us." Mako shrugged.

"But," Korra peered up at him. "I just wanted to sit with you."

Mako held back a laugh. "I didn't think you wanted to sit with me alone,"

His heart pounded when she nodded.

"I guess...part of me wanted to be Asami," Korra jutted out her lower lip, and her cheeks beet red. "I wanted to share Popsicles with you, and I wanted to hear your jokes."

Mako bit back a sympathetic smile as he spoke. "I'll sit with you next time, if that's what you want."

Korra's eyes lit up. "Really?"

Mako grinned. "Really. I'm sorry you felt left out. But hey, I have something for you."

Korra cocked her head. "What?"

"Close your eyes," Mako instructed, slowly standing up.

Hesitantly, Korra did as she was told and Mako ran off to their package of Popsicles.

Mako dug through the ice cold container and pulled a blue ice pop from it, before sprinting back to her.

"Y-You can open your eyes now," Mako tried not to pant.

Korra opened her eyes and she gasped. Mako held out the ice pop, giving a knowing smile.

Korra laughed and felt a blush pepper her cheeks. She gladly took the dessert.

"Thank you, Mako!" Korra giggled. Mako felt his heart pound again as she leaned over and hugged him, holding him tightly.

"You're welcome, Korra," Mako laughed as she playfully kissed his cheek, causing his cheeks to turn red.

"I really, really love you," Korra flashed a smile.

Mako froze. "Y-You know what that means, right?"

What was she trying to say? They were only kids-oh man.

"Yeah! I love you because you always do nice things for me, you and Bolin give me company all the time, and you always make sure I'm okay! There's nothing wrong with loving people," Korra shrugged, before grinning again.

'So maybe she didn't mean the romantic love.' Mako thought. 'That would be weird, if she suddenly liked me the way dad liked mom.
Why am I even worrying about this? It's Korra!'

Korra grabbed his wrist. "Let's go home,"

He nodded as they walked away.

'Maybe one day, when we're grown ups, Korra might love me like mom and dad love each other.'
__________________

A/N: i gotta admit, this was fluffy.

Kids having plans about their future, meeting Prince Charming, holding marriages, happily ever afters...
To clear up any confusion, Korra meant she generally loved Mako, not like super-intimate love.

But they definitely will soon ;P

~animerei:3