Chapter 6: The Accident

Vanessa POV:

It has been a few weeks since the boys and I got together at the Moore twins house. For the past 2 weeks things have been normal as one can say. I have been going to high school, I am still friends with the boys, I mean some of them, Tyler and I have not spoken since that night at the twins house and Daniel has been bombarding me with questions of why I stopped track and field.

It is now 5am on a Monday morning and I am getting ready to go for my early morning runs with Daniel. We have been running for the past 2 weeks and honestly, I missed it. I missed running, feeling my muscles burn and feeling my heart race faster the more I ran, I missed the wind hitting my face and my hair flying in all directions.

It feels good to be back.

Running has always been my dream, I always dreamed about making it to the Olympics or even Diamond League, breaking records, being recognised. But, I'm afraid those dreams wont come true anymore

"V wait up, I'm not as fast and fit as you are" I heard Daniel complain from behind me and so I slowed down

"Mr walker you are the football team captain, and you cant keep up with an athlete who hasn't trained in almost a year" I said laughing at him

"Wait V, last time I asked you why you stopped you said injuries but I know you lied, please tell me the truth!" he said while stopping

"I didn't lie, when I said injuries I didn't mean physical injuries" I explained still not looking at him

I think its time I tell him the truth. I stopped and turned around to face him

Daniel's dark brown eyes held worry

I took a deep breath.

"Danny what I'm about to tell you is something I never told anyone and I'm trusting you to keep it to yourself I don't want anyone else worrying about me" I said looking at him

"You can trust me V, I promise I wont tell a soul about this" He confirmed.

"Okay, the truth is I-" I took a deep breath. Thoughts of that horrible day started taking over me. I just wanted to cry.

"I'm traumatized" I whispered looking down. Tears ran down my cheeks. Daniel was quiet and didnt dare to say anything.

I felt his arms around me, and I hugged him back.

"It's okay V, you dont have to continue" he said softly.

"The day of the accident was the day I was running. I had qualified for the 100m final and my dad couldn't go so my mom did. She was sitting and holding a sign saying Go Nessa. I remembered it as if it was yesterday" I took a deep breath and continued

"Emily wasn't sitting with my mom, luckily she didn't see that scene. The athletes got ready to run and I could hear my mom screaming my name, she was louder than all the other parents and teens watching. We got ready and we waited for the pistol to give us a sign that we could run. The pistol went off and so did the athletes. I was in front and we heard another gunshot so all the athletes stopped as we thought it was a false start" I said I took another deep breath and tried to calm myself down.

"People started screaming and I looked towards where all that was coming from and I saw a lot of people yelling for help and it all came from where my mom was sitting. I rushed to see what was going on. I try to push past the people to get to the front and when I got there, I couldn't believe my eyes. On the floor laid my mom with a bullet right through her chest. And I froze I didn't know what to do, I couldn't even cry. So many thoughts were going through my mind" I said and by this time I was sobbing.

"I froze at the same spot till the Ambulance got there and helped her, I drove with her to the nearest hospital and I stayed there for hours waiting for her to come out of surgery. A few hours later Dr Williams came and told me she did not make it" I finally said.

"Ever since that day I never ran again. I am traumatized, every time I hear the sound of the Pistol I freeze and remember that horrible day that changed my life completely. I still have nightmare till this day, I hear her tell me to keep running and to protect Emily, but I can't" I finally said.

Taking another deep breath and looking at Daniel who is now leaning against a tree with tears in his eyes.

"Mrs Smith was like a second mother to me; she would always attend all of my football games and when I got into trouble, she would talk to my parents for me and try to convince them not to ground me and she was there for both my mother, my brother and I when my father left" Daniel said with a smile on his face as he remembered all of the memories.

"I know that day was the worse day, but I also know for a fact that your mom wouldn't want you to stop doing what you love, which is running. V you are literally amazing, you are 17 years old and Ive never seen anyone run faster than you. When you run you always have this determined look on you face, a look of joy and real happiness" he said with a smile on his face.

I looked at him, Daniel is right my mom wouldn't want me to give up.

"You're right Danny" I said why cleaning my tears.

"Breakfast?" he asked.

"Hell yeah!" I said with a smile on my face. I mean who can say no to food. Not this girl here

It feels good to have someone like Daniel to talk about all of you problems and issues. he is a really good listener, but I don't want to drag him into my family problems.

I need to keep him save from them, and in order to keep him save I don't think I should tell him about the others

Author's note:

Now Daniel know about Vanessa's Trauma, but what is she still hiding? who's them? is it her family? or someone else?

keep reading to find out

the next chapter will be uploaded shortly