Chapter 19: Clues

Vanessa POV:

Ring, ring, ring

I groan. Who the hell is disturbing my beauty sleep? I roll over and get my phone from the nightstand. I looked at the time and saw Daniels name pop up.

"What Daniel?" I asked angrily

"I'm waiting for you outside, aren't you coming?" he asked

"Coming where?" I asked confused. I look at the time and realised that I was late. Dammit. I turn off my phone and looked outside, to see Daniels car parked on the driveway. I get up and rushed to the bathroom, I wash my face and brushed my teeth, then I rushed back to my room and get some black leggings and a white hoodie. I looked at myself in the mirror to see how my hair was. I put my hair up on a ponytail, got my bag and my phone and rushed downstairs.

I get my house keys and kiss my Aunt goodbye. I ran outside to Daniels car, I opened the door and literally jumped inside

"I'm so sorry Danny, I didnt hear my alarm" I yelled out of breath. I mean what I did there isnt something someone can do, getting ready in 5 minutes is literally a workout

"It's okay V, lets go?" he asked laughing at me

"Yeah" I replied. The ride to school was incredibly quiet as I was still out of breath and couldnt speak. When we got to school Daniel and I went straight to class as we arrived just on time. He had history and I had Math fun right?

I arrived in math class and surprisingly Tyler was already there. I walk to my usual spot, which is right next to him. I set down and said good morning to him and he actually said it back, for once

The Math class went by faster than I expected, and I actually understood something, for once since school started.

I'm so proud of myself

I was sitting with the boys at the cafeteria as usual. Daniel and Alex were talking about some boxing tournament next weekend or something, but to be honest I wasnt listening. I was just thinking about what my father told me. Suddenly, I interrupted Alex.

"Sorry, Daniel can I talk to you please?" I asked looking towards him.

"Yeah, outside?" he asked

We got up and made our way outside, we found a good and quiet place so we could talk.

"So, whats up V?" he asked

"Daniel, you have to promise not to tell anyone, not even Em or my Aunt, okay I told him" Daniel zipped his mouth and pretended to throw away the keys. GOOD

"I went to visit my father the other day as you know, I told him we broke into his office and got the box V and he told me that box is useless, he told me he had a hard drive hidden in his office, somewhere by the books. he didn't have much time to tell me exactly where but I guess we just need to look for it. He told me we should get. But I'm scared to go back there to be honest. What if they find us? "I finally said.

"It's risky V, but honestly we have to find it, before they do" he replied

"Yeah, you're right" I agreed

I mean he is right, its better we get it before they do, and if they find it before we do it can be game over for my father.

"Let's go now" he suggested

"Like right now?" I asked a bit confused, But we have school Danny

"Let's go V, the earlier the better. Let's tell the boys we are going to your old house, so if something happens, they know where we are. Tell them you have to get something really important" he suggested

I guess he was right, I'll have to tell the boys, but what am I going to say?

Daniel and I walked back to the Cafeteria where we were sitting with the boys.

"Hey, Daniel and I are quickly going to run to my old house okay" I announced looking at the boys. They all looked so confused but they had to know because if anything happens, they know where to find us

"That's like 2 hours away, and why on a school day?" asked Cole

"I just- I just want to visit my mom you know, and as Daniel knew her, we both wanted to go" I whispered suddenly feeling the urge to cry

"Oh, well be careful." Tyler said with a sincere smile on his face. I try to smile back but I just couldnt. Daniel and I walked away toward the parking lot. We got in his car and started our trip.

I felt so so empty to be honest. Since my mom passed away, I never felt the same.

The whole trip there was quiet and faster than I thought. I was so lost in my own thoughts that I didnt notice we had arrived.

"V, should I park where we parked last time?" asked Daniel

"Yeah" I answered

We got out of the car and walked to my old house, the house still looked the same as it is the day me and my sister moved away. Daniel and I walked to the back of the house and again I did my magic with the bobby pin and the window. Daniel looked as shook as he did the first time he saw me doing that. I jumped in first followed by Daniel.

"My dad said it was somewhere by the books, maybe inside one!" I suggested

"Maybe one of the books isnt a normal book, whats one of the books your dad never let you touch?" Daniel asked walking towards the bookshelf

"He never let me touch any of his books!" I replied.

"Well, what's his favourite book then, a book he talks about a lot?" he asked. Dammit my dad talks a lot about books, its something he really enjoys. Okay think Vanessa think

"I dont know, they are way too many books, we will never be able to look through all of them. Think Vanessa think" I thought out loud. I walk to the bookshelf and read the book titles, The Things They Carried, The Fifth Discipline and the list goes on and on.

But one caught my attention. The only book who's title wasn't in English or Italian. it was weird

"That's it Russian!" I cheered, removing the book from the shelf. I looked the book and Daniel was right, it wasnt a normal book. This looked more like a box than a book, it had the features of a book but also had a lock.

"BINGO" I yelled

"Keep it down V, I still want to live please" Daniel whispered putting his hand over my mouth. Daniel and I got the book and left before anyone could find us. We got to his car and set-in silence trying to figure out how to open this mysterious box.

Author's note:

what do you think is in that book? is it something good?