𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐅𝐢𝐟𝐭𝐲 𝐎𝐧𝐞: 𝐀 𝐖𝐚𝐲

He raises his shaking hand to the door handle before pulling back. He picks up Grogu who whines and reaches to the door. "I know...I know," He reassures with a soft voice though it cracks slightly. "I just...I'm not ready," The child coos sadly before Din places his hand back on the handle. He curses before opening the door and seeing the inevitable laying in front of him.

~~~

"Kenna?" Din asks as he places Grogu down on the bed next to her. "Kenna?" He prods her arm but there is no reaction. He grabs her hands and brings them to his face, placing a gentle kiss on her cold fingertips. Grogu walks up to where Din is and sits down next to him, placing a tiny green hand on his arm. "I'm sorry, Grogu...she's...gone," The child coos and looks at Din as tears fall from his eyes. "I messed up this time," He sees the bloodied bandages wrapped around her stomach. He drops her hands and cups her face in his hands, placing his forehead to hers. "I'm sorry,"

Grogu climbs up the bed and to Kenna's torso. He places his hands on her chest and closes his eyes, his hands shaking violently. Din pulls away and then sees Grogu, but he doesn't stop the child. The child falls back, exhausted while Din quickly feels Kenna's pulse. He sighs and releases her wrists.

"Good try kid, good..." He buries his head in his arms and sobs quietly, his tears staining his face and shirt. "I'm so sorry Kenna,"

"You...should...be...I hurt...everywhere," He quickly looks up and sees Kenna, her eyes half opened with a small smile.

"Kenna!" His cries of pain turn into joy as he sits on the bed with her and grabs her hands. "I was so scared I lost you, I did everything I could...and...Grogu...he saved your life!" He helps her sit up and smiles at her, tears still falling down his face.

"He's...a...miracle...worker," She rests her head on the wall and closes her eyes.

"Do you need anything?" He asks after silence.

"I just need the pain to be gone," She groans, looking down to see a tired child resting on her chest.

"How...do you feel?" He asks.

"I feel pain...not just physical..." She looks at him. "Emotional,"

"I'm sorry I made you upset...I wanted a chance to see you again...a chance to tell you how sorry I am ...tell you how much I still love you," He wipes away his tears with the back of his hands and averts his gaze. "I wanted to do something good...and I wanted to save you from some of the pain,"

"You didn't save me from anything," She says, forcing him to look back at her. "I've lived with the pain every day of my life...and I blame you...I blame you for thinking you knew what was best for me...when it was you that was best for me," Tears begin to fall down her face. "I wanted you to hold me...I wanted you and I cried for you...I hated you and I hated you because...because I would've chosen you no matter what ...and you took that away from me," He leans in and wipes away her tears.

"I'm sorry Kenna...and I don't know what to do to make you forgive me...to make you love me again,"

"Din," She leans forward and wipes away his tears. "You want me to fall back in love with you?"

"...yes..." He says barely above a whisper.

"How am I suppose to do that?"

"I don't know-"

"When I've never stopped loving you," He looks up at her and smiles as she smiles at him. "You may have walked away and I should hate you...but I can't...I can't stop loving you,"

"I don't know what I did to deserve you,"

"You saved me," She says, bringing him closer. "You were the one who took me off Vordian,"