𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐅𝐢𝐯𝐞: 𝐖𝐚𝐫𝐦𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐔𝐩

Once Din is sure she is asleep, he finds he can sleep too, knowing she is okay... but why was he feeling this weird connection with Kenna?

~~~

Daylight arrives and all are asleep besides Din. Kenna's head rests upon his shoulder but he doesn't mind for some reason. However, the girls both awake when the sled comes to a sudden halt. Kids and running around and laughing and Kenna quickly removes her head, blushing slightly.

"Sorry," She mumbles.

"They're here!" One kid shouts, running towards the sled. The child is awake and peering over the edge before standing up straight.

"Come on!" Another kid says. The children right away ooh and aah at the child.

"Well, looks like they are happy to see us," Din speaks.

"Looks like," Kenna responds, smiling at the children.

"Hi," One of the kids say to the child. Din and Cara jump off the sled and they begin to offload the cargo along with Kenna but the pain in her leg makes her wince and Din comes up to her.

"Did you not heal yourself properly?" He whispers, his voice sounding so gentle even though is through a modulator.

"I did...It must have been one of Killon's blasters...he poisons them, it'll be fine," Din stops and fully turns his attention to Kenna.

"Kenna, I can't leave you being poisoned,"

"I'll fix it later," She swings her bag on.

"I'll fix it later," Din corrects, taking her bag from her and she tries to protest but to no avail and a small smile appears on her lips.

~~~

An older woman is pulling up blinds as Din and Kenna arrive at the door. The woman pushed back her long hazel brown hair back and hesitates before speaking.

"Please come in," Din enters with some of the cargo and Kenna's bag as she follows, looking around the room. "I hope this is comfortable for you. Sorry that all we have is the barn," She continues.

"This will do fine," Din says, noting there was only one bed.

"I stacked some blankets over here," She motions to a pile of blankets.

"Thank you. That's...very kind," Kenna says with a warm smile. Suddenly, a child appears at the door and Din rounds on her, and she starts to back away to hide outside the doorframe. The woman goes to pull her into sight again, holding her tight to her side.

"This is my daughter Winta. We don't get a lot of visitors around here. She's not used to strangers," She smiles before addressing her daughter. "This nice man and woman is going to help protect us from the bad ones,"

"Thank you," The girl says timidly. Din just nods near imperceptibly.

"No problem, we'll keep you all safe," Kenna says and the girl seems the brighten up at her warmness, unlike Din's coldness.

"Come on, Winta. Let's give our guests some room,"

"Um, before you leave, I didn't quite catch your name," Kenna says.

"Omera," She nods and takes Winta's hand and they leave. Din turns to Kenna, smiling under his mask slightly.

"You're good with children,"

"One of my many talents,"

"You read her mind,"

"No,"

"Then how did you know she needed comfort?"

"Her body language told me, Din," He scans Kenna's face, brushing back a piece of red hair and tucking it behind her ear.

"Of course,"

~~~

Din sits down, checking his rifle while Kenna cleans her blasters and checks her vortex grenades. The child sits in the crib with the Jedi necklace fully is his grasp so Kenna can't take it back.

"Knock, knock," Kenna looks up as Din responds.

"Come in," Omera enters with a tray of food, Winta right behind her.

"Can I feed him?" Winta asks. Din turns around to see the child approach his child.

"Sure," Winta kneels by the crib, holding up food.

"Are you hungry?" She giggles. "Can I play with him?" Din sighs.

"Sure,"

She takes the child out of the crib and sets it on the floor.

"Come on!" Winta leaves the barn with the child in tow, Din sets to rush after them, worried.

"I don't think--"

"They'll be fine," Kenna says, touching his shoulder.

"I don't--"

"They'll be fine," Kenna repeats firmly yet softly. Din looks into her eyes and backs off.

"I brought you some food. I noticed you didn't eat out there. I'll leave it here for when I go," Omera says, smirking.

"That's very thoughtful of you," He turns away.

"Do you mind if I ask you something?" Kenna finishes cleaning her gun and puts it back in her holster.

"Go ahead,"

"How long has it been since you've taken that off?"

"Yesterday," He responds dully and Omera sighs.

"I mean in front of someone else," He turns around, then looks and points out the window to where the village children are playing with the child.

"I wasn't much older than they are,"

"You haven't shown your face to anyone since you were a kid?" Kenna said and Din turns to face her.

"No. I was...happy that they took me in. My parents were killed, and the Mandalorians took care of me," Kenna looks deep in thought and walks back over to him.

"I'm so sorry," She says, grabbing his hands.

"This is the way," Din responds after a moment of hesitation. Kenna smiles and looks up at him and she could barely make out his eyes.

"Let us know if there's anything you need," Omera leaves with a smile. Kenna pulls away and begins to limp out.

"I'll leave you so you can eat,"

"I'm not eating until I heal you," Kenna sighs.

"You can't--"

"I can," He glares at her and she sits down on the small bench. Din pops open her medical kit and unties the bandage wrapped around her leg. He looks up at her and sees she is looking away in embarrassment. "You have nothing to be ashamed of," He says, placing down the dirty bandage and reviewing the wound. Kenna scoffs and still looks away.

"I'm a medic and can't even look after myself," Din sighs and cleans the wound out before taking a closer look.

"You don't have to be this brave soldier doing everything on your own," Kenna looks down and sighs.

"I've been doing everything on my own for my entire life, my parents would frown upon this," Din looks up and sees her not sparing a glance at him.

"And your parents can heal themselves when they are running away?"

"Well no--"

"So why would they frown upon this?" Din looks up again and she doesn't respond but fiddles with her necklace she has taken back. "Do you know your parents?"

"Only from stories others say. I was abandoned at a young age. What...OW...what about you?"

"They...died...a long time ago," He distracts himself by extracting the poison from her leg.

"Oh, Din," She places her hand on the side of his helmet and he looks up at her. They don't talk as he finishes up and she quickly leaves so he can eat.

Something about her made him feel something weird inside of him. It was something foreign but it felt...good? When she says his name something inside of him warms up, but what is it? Why was he feeling this, for her?