twenty

────────────────────

"IS DAD NOT COMING HOME?" you questioned your mother, wiping the tears stained in her eyes away from her beautiful face. she didn't look at you but nodded her head as an answer while silently whimpering to herself. your heart broke seeing your mother like this, the same thing happened when it was your parents 21st anniversary of being married to each other. "is it work again?" you raised an eyebrow and she once again just nodded her head.

work, work, work. was that all your father cared about? you always wondered. it pissed you off every single time and you wished your father would ditch just one single day to spend it with his wife and daughter.

"your father left not too long ago actually," your mother finally spoke, earning a confused look from you. she continued, "i told him to come home because it was urgent, i wanted to surprise him but instead he got upset and yelled at me saying that i wasted his time and he went back to work."

"mom—" you started, sighing and a frown forming on your lips.

"it's alright dear, i'll just refrigerate all of the food. if you're hungry, just take whatever you want and enjoy it," your mother spoke weakly, giving you a soft grin before standing up from the chair she sat in. all of the hard work she put into was now in a complete waste and wasn't even appreciated by your father.

"no mom, eat with me," you said, grabbing her arm and keeping her there so that she wouldn't go anywhere. "i don't want you to keep sulking like this for the rest of the day," you continued, gently pushing her back down onto the chair she just sat in and seated yourself in the one beside of her.

your mother watched as you placed the cold yet edible food onto the empty plate in front of her. to be honest, you were still quite full from earlier's meal but decided to pretend that you were still hungry. besides, the food she cooked looked absolutely delicious and you missed your mother's cooking.

"thank you, (y/n)," your mother said still in a weak voice, she kept her small smile as she watched you. "you're a wonderful girl, i'm really sorry."

"what for mom?" you raised an eyebrow, glancing at her as she said that and began to eat the desired dishes you had on your plate. "there's nothing you need to apologize for."

your mother fiddled her fingers that were resting on her lap, her head was now looking down and you kept your gaze on her, still quite confused on why she was apologizing to you. she sighed, finally looking back up at you.

"i was also in an arranged marriage," your mother admitted, almost making you choke on the food you were currently chewing on. you stared at her, quite dumbfounded and your mouth was now agape from the news. your parents never told you that they had also been arranged to get married, all your life you thought they were actually a couple who planned to get married to each other without force or any arrangements.