twenty six

────────────────────

AS MIKASA SHUT THE DOOR TO EREN'S OFFICE, she let go of jean's wrist and sighed. after what they had just walked into, they became quite awkward. standing beside each other for a moment, mikasa glanced over at jean who's eyes were focused elsewhere.

"weren't we like.. supposed to eat with them?" jean questioned, breaking the silence between them while looking back at mikasa, locking eye contact with her.

"i guess.. but not anymore," she answered with a little shrug before looking away, mikasa began to walk towards a direction. "let's just eat somewhere else today," she added, giving a quick glance at jean and gestured him to follow her with a head tilt towards the direction she was walking down towards. jean nodded his head, trailing behind her.

for some reason, there was a smile on jean's face. the thought of spending the lunch hour alone with mikasa brought him some sort of ecstasy he couldn't hide. for mikasa, it was odd for her to have lunch with someone else that wasn't eren. or armin, but that was only when he came by to visit and he would eat together with her and eren.

mikasa led jean to an area that had a few vacant tables, there weren't too many other workers nor visitors around and the tables were displayed beside large windows that viewed out to an impressive scenery of the city. she seated herself down first at one of the tables and jean sat across soon after his eyes explored around the current area.

"it looks nice here," jean spoke as he sat down, looking at mikasa who had the bag of ramen in her hands. he watched as she laid out two bowls and she nodded her head as an agreement at his compliment.

"i know. eren and i would eat here sometimes whenever armin comes over to have lunch with us," mikasa explained with a small smile that jean couldn't help but stare at. the sunglasses that were resting on her nose were now lifted up to rest on her head, she gave jean one last glance and raised an eyebrow. "is there something the matter? you keep staring at me," she noted and jean flinched, his cheeks rising in heat from embarrassment and he cleared his throat.

"my bad," jean uttered as he turned his head away, awkwardly scratching the back of his head.

mikasa lightly laughed, earning jean's gaze back on her. "i was kidding, really. it's okay," the female reassured as she continued her snickering to which jean smiled to.

just then employees walked by, glimpsing over at the two and became astonished to see mikasa laugh like that. they stood close to each other, whispering and glanced at jean who was still smiling. the male noticed the three worker's gazes and he could hear the muffled chatter coming from the group.

"who's that?"
"i don't know? her boyfriend?"
"is that why she rejected eating lunch with me two days ago?"

after giving one last glance at jean, they quickly fled back to their duties. mikasa stopped her laughing right after that, kept a tiny smile on her face while she began to devour the ramen. thankfully, the noodles were still quite warm and jean found himself watching the female eat. he found it adorable, the way she slurped on the noodles and when he cheeks puffed up whenever she chewed on it. mikasa could feel the constant staring from the male but she didn't comment on it and just continued to eat.