Chapter 13

"I don't get it, he's just dead. But how?" Paxton questioned.

I paced back and forth in the hotel room trying to figure out what was happening.

"Did you call your uncle or my dad?" I asked Paxton who was sitting on the edge of the bed watching me pace around.

"Yeah, no answer from either of them." He answered.

I ran my hands through my hair out of frustration.

"We need to figure all of this out." I insisted.

"How? We have no idea who did this or why they did it." Paxton replied.

I stopped pacing and looked at Paxton.

"Do you have a piece of paper?" I asked.

"Yeah I think so." He said before getting up and walking over to his backpack and pulling out a black notebook.

He handed it to me and I grabbed a black marker from my bag and jumped on the bed and started writing.

"Okay, when we went to Randy's house did we find anything that gave us answers about how the government found out about us?" I asked Paxton as he sat next to me on the bed.

"No."

I quickly wrote down that we didn't have a single answer to our question.

"What did we find?"

"Uh that he had a happy family?" Paxton answered.

"Yeah." I responded before writing that down.

"When you looked through all the rooms, did you find any weapons?" I questioned.

"Nope."

I stopped writing and looked up at Paxton.

"No weapon?" I asked again.

"No weapon." He confirmed

"Why wouldn't he have any weapons? If he knew who we were and knew that we were killing all the government workers-" I got interrupted by Paxton.

"Why didn't he have weapons?" He finished my sentence.

He looked just as confused as I was.

"Didn't he want to protect his family?" I thought out loud.

The room went silent, we both were trying to understand what this meant.

"Did you check every room?" I asked Paxton.

"Yeah. I looked through all the drawers, dressers, under the covers. Nothing." He answered.

I stared down at the notebook that had all of our thoughts written down on it.

That's when it hit me.

"We were set up." I blurted out.

"What?" Paxton questioned.

I turned my body toward Paxton.

"Think about it Paxton. We go into the house, look through all the rooms, and find nothing. Nothing. Not even a weapon. All we know is that he had a happy family, and that party was a birthday party for his kids. That's why the kids were wearing the party hats." I started blurting out.

"Ivy, slow down." Paxton pleaded as he placed his hands on my shoulders.

I grabbed his wrists and looked him dead in the eyes.

"He's an innocent person Paxton."

I stared at Paxton and felt tears fill my eyes.Paxton embraced me as I let out small sobs.

"We almost killed an innocent person." I grieved.

"But you didn't. You did nothing wrong." He voiced into my ear as I rested my head on his shoulder.

We sat there for a few more minutes as Paxton comforted me. I felt safe. I don't remember the last time I felt this safe in someone's arms.