Chapter 16

We pull up to the same tall building I practically grew up in, but this time it looked abandoned. There were barely any cars parked near it.

I step out of the car and walk towards the entrance with Paxton right behind me. I pull open the doors and look around the building. Nobody was here.

"Let's go to my dad's office." I say to Paxton.

We walk into the elevator and make our way up to my dad's office.

I look around the elevator and a bunch of memories come flooding back.

The day I met Paxton. I remembered the words that came out of his mouth right here in this elevator.

"Please we all know you would get killed pretty easily if your daddy didn't have all these weapons and men working for him."

Maybe he was right. Look at me, it's like I always need my dad. I can't even do a mission that's far away from him, and I hate the feeling that none of his men are in this building greeting me or the feeling I get watching those same men get scared as they see me walking up to them.

"Ivy." I hear Paxton's voice.

I look up and see him standing outside of the elevator doors.

I push my thoughts away and walk out.

I look around the hallway and don't see anybody.

"Come on." I tell Paxton as I lead us down the hallway to my dad's office.

"Where is everyone?" Paxton asked as we walked.

"I don't know."

We finally reach my dad's office and I push the big doors open expecting to see my dad. Empty.

"Where is he?" I question as I look around the room.

"Call him." Paxton suggests.

I obey and pull my phone out and call my dad.

I pull the phone up to my ear and listen to the sound of the ringing.

"Come on answer." I mutter to myself.

Then all of a sudden I hear the sound of his voicemail.

I wait for the beep before talking.

"Hey dad it's me Ivy. Paxton and I are in your office. We came back, but you're not here. I'm worried dad. Where are you? Where's William? Please answer." I explained.

I ended the call and looked back down at the phone hoping to see a text or something from him.

"Ivy. You have to see this." Paxton says.

I turn around and see Paxton look at something on my dad's desk.

I rush over next to him and he points to a file with Randy's picture in it.

I look at the papers in the folder and scan all the information.

"He knew." Paxton blurted out.

"What?" I looked up at him.

"Your dad. He knew this whole time." He added.

I looked at Paxton then back down at the folder.

He was right. All of this information was sitting right in front of us and none of it said that Randy worked for the government.

"He lied to us. He was the one who set us up." I started still keeping my focus on the folder.

I feel my blood boil as I think about the fact that my dad lied to us.