Chapter 36

Paxton Clark

~~~~~~~~~~~

"Why?! What the hell is wrong with you?!" William yells at me.

I sink into the couch and stare at my hands. I was in the living room getting yelled at by William for getting suspended.

"Nothing is wrong with me." I tell him.

"Then why'd you beat him up?!" He yells.

"He deserved it."

"Dammit, Paxton. You got suspended! What the hell am I going to do with you?!" He shouts.

"Beat me up." I answer.

"Excuse me?"

I look up at him.

"Beat me up. That's what you're best at." I tell him.

"Don't you dare talk to me like that." He says, sternly.

"I'll talk to you, however, the hell I want to." I state.

He takes a step closer to me and slaps me across the face.

"Did your parents ever teach you how to respect people?" He snaps.

I let out a laugh.

"Do you think this is funny?"

"Coming from you? Yes." I tell him.

He glares at me before grabbing his car keys and walking out the front door.

I smile to myself before getting up and walking into my dad's old office. I sit in the leather desk chair and spin in circles. I open one of the drawers on the desk and pull a pack of cigarettes and a lighter.

I walk outside onto the front porch and light one and blow it.

I sit on the steps and smoke while playing with the lighter in my hand.

I hear a familiar laugh making me lookup. I look up and see Ivy and her dad in her garage. There was music blasting out and she was sitting on a white cloth that was covered in paint. She had paint smeared on the side of her cheek. I watch as she picks up a new brush and dips it in black paint and smears it onto her canvas.

I watch her dad say something to her making her laugh.

The moment gets ruined once her dad's phone starts to ring. He pulls his phone out of his pocket and pulls it up to his ear.

Ivy stares at him and frowns. Her dad gets up and wipes his dirty hands on a rag before grabbing his key out of his pocket. He places a kiss on Ivy's head and gets into his car and drives away. I watch Ivy stare down at her lap and place her brush down.

I blow out more smoke as I watch her. She looks up from her lap and looks over at me. She stares at me and I stare at her.

She gets up and walks across the street towards me. She stops in front of me and I continue to let out the smoke.

"What's up, buttercup?" I say to her.

"What are you doing?" She asks.

"Smoking." I answer.

"Why?"

"Because I want to." I tell her.

I blow a cloud of smoke into her face making her mad.

She grabs the cigarette from my hand and throws it on the ground. She steps on it and crushes it.

"I have a whole pack, tesorina." I tell her.

"You disgust me." She says.

I roll my eyes at her.

She stares at me before bringing her hand to my red cheek from where William hit me.

"Did he hit you again?" She asks as she brushes her fingers against the side of my cheek.

"Of course he did." I tell her as I push her hand away from my face.

She sighs and looks down at her feet.

"Where did your dad go?" I ask her.

"Work."

"What does he do?"

"Kills people." She answers.

I look up at her.

"Oh."

James Moore. One of the most famous gang leaders in Chicago. My uncle told me about him, they're best friends. My uncle works with him sometimes but he has his own gang to run now since my parents are gone.

"Anyway, I'm gonna go." She says as she begins to walk away.

I watch as she walks across the street and into her house.

She'll never be mine.