Chapter 18

"You're pushing me too fast idiot!" I yell as Paxton pushes me down the hospital hallways in a wheelchair.

"I'm barely pushing!" Paxton yells back.

It had been a good two days of staying in the hospital, and it was nice at first to have Paxton as my company but after a bit, he started to get on my nerves again, but now the doctors finally discharged me and now we could leave.

Paxton pushes me out into the parking lot where the cold crisp wind blows through my black hair. He pushes me through the parking lot until we reach our car which still has a giant bullet hole in the back window. Paxton opens the passenger seat door and helps me stand up. I wrap an arm around his broad shoulders and slowly climb into the car. The pain wasn't as bad as it was a few days ago but it was still there. I pull the seat belt around and buckle in.

"You good?" Paxton asks leaning down against the door to see me.

"Yeah." I reply.

Paxton nods and closes the door, I watch him grab the wheelchair and push toward another car instead of taking it back inside.

I laugh a little at his careless attitude.

He quickly walks to the driver's side door and hops in, putting his seat belt on and starting up the car.

"Ready?" He asks looking over at me.

I nod.

He turns around and slowly backs out of the parking lot.

We drive down the roads and I look at all the buildings around us.

"Where are we going?" I question.

"To your house. I was thinking we stay there for a while so you can fully heal before going back to our mission." Paxton explained.

"What about my dad and your uncle? We need to find them. I want to know the whole truth." I insist.

"We'll find them once you're healed." Paxton advised.

I sighed and looked back out the window.

Eventually, we reached my house and I got this weird feeling, I hadn't been here in such a long time. It felt good to be back for some time.

Paxton helped me out of the car and I tried to walk but it hurt a lot.

"I should've kept the wheelchair." Paxton realized.

"Yeah no duh, that's why they gave it." I said.

Paxton sighs before picking me and holding me bridal style.

"What are you doing?" I ask.

"Carrying you inside." He explains as he walks up to the front door.

"Key?" Paxton asks as we stop in front of the door.

"The plant." I say pointing to a giant plant in a big pot.

Paxton carried me over to the plant and crouched down so I could grab the key. I put my hand inside of the pot and pulled the key out.

Paxton carried me back to the door and I put the key in the key hole, twisting until I heard the lock click.

Paxton turned the doorknob and pushed open the door. As I stepped in I was hit with the sweet smell of home. I looked around the hallway hoping to see my dad somewhere, but the house was empty. Paxton carried me up the stairs to my room. He stopped in front of my bedroom door and I looked at him, frowning.

"Why'd you stop?" I ask him.

"Well, you told me that I was never allowed inside your room." Paxton recalled.

I rolled my eyes.

"That was when I barely knew you." I explained.

"So I can go in?" He asked.

"Yes."

Paxton smiled freakishly before pushing the door open. He walked in and looked around. My room was pretty basic, it had gray walls that had posters of my favorite music artists, my dresser was filled with pictures of me when I was younger, and pictures with my dad. My bed was pretty big, it had nice slick sheets, on one side of my room I had a bookshelf filled with all my favorite books. There was also a nice bay window with comfy seating, I usually sat there and read my books while playing music.

Paxton carried me to my bed and gently placed me on the soft mattress.

"Comfortable?" He asked.

I nodded.

Paxton backed away and looked around my room completely amazed.

He looked at the poster that hung on the wall and smiled.

"I love the Beatles." He says looking at the poster of the Beatles.

"Same."

Paxton walked over to my dresser with all my pictures on it. He picked one up that was of me and mom when I was only 2.

"This your mom?" Paxton asked.

"Yeah."

"You look just like her. Especially the green eyes." He says smiling down at the photo.

I let out a small laugh.

"Yeah." I add.

Paxton places the photo back down and walks over to my books and looks at all the books.

"Glad that I didn't find a dead body in here." He says, referring to the first time he came to my house.

"Not yet." I joked.

Paxton chuckled.

Paxton pulls out a book and smiles.

"I love this book." He says holding it up for me to see.

'They Both Die in the End by Adam Silvera'

"Same. Balled my eyes to that." I tell him.

Paxton laughs before placing the book back.

"You really like reading, huh?" I ask.

"Yeah, it's just so peaceful." He explains.

He smiles as he looks through the shelf of books but he smile disappears once he pulls out a ripped up book. He stares at the book in shock.
"Where did you get this?" He finally asks.
"It's mine." I tell him.
"Why is it ripped up?" He questions.
"I gave it to a kid in high school and he lived in a abusive household. Someone in his family ripped it up." I explain.
"What's his name?" He asks.
"I don't remember."
Paxton sighs before moving his gaze around the room.
"I knew it." He says.
"What?" I ask.
He looks back at me and stares.
"Ivy." He whispers.
"Paxton? You're scaring me." I tell him.
He laughs.
"Forget it. I just thought it was cool you still had the book even though it was ripped up." He says.
I let out a small laugh and ignore everything that happened.
He makes his way towards the bed and stops right next to me.
"Scoot over." He tells me.
I smile and try my best to move over and give him space.
He sits on the bed and leans his back against the headboard. I watch as he leans his head back and closes his eyes.
I look down at his hands that we're laying in his lap.
I hesitantly move my hand and interlock our fingers together. He lifts his head and looks down at our hands and then at me. He gives me sweet smile before leaning in and placing a gentle kiss against my head. I smile at him before resting my head on his shoulder. I wasn't sure what that small kiss meant but I loved it. I don't know why I loved it so much but it made me feel happy. He makes me happy...