Sometimes

Sometimes.

Sometimes you were called at 2am to be there for him.

Sometimes you were there to walk by his side at an award show or after party.

Sometimes you were the first person he thought of when he had important news to share.

You never lingered on the thought of being the second choice when another girl came along into Ashton's life. It wasn't fair to yourself to constantly think about how you were forever the girl who was a friend.

The one who was blocked out the second an actual girlfriend came along, because we all know, you can't have a close female friend and also have a significant other. At least, that's how his girlfriend's tended to think.

It hurt like hell to know the second you heard from Ashton after months of radio silence, it meant he was single again. Not because he decided to stick up and fight for your friendship.

This time was no different.

You internally berated yourself for instantly falling back in as soon as he called, not even hesitating to answer as soon as your phone rang, even with Calum sitting next to you and talking about his day with Duke.

"Hey Ash, how've you been?" you tried to seem chill as you spoke, sticking your tongue out at Calum as he rolled his eyes and dramatically slumped in his chair.

"Hey Y/N! I found this great new hiking spot near where you live. I was wondering if you'd wanna head out early in the morning and watch the sun rise? Been too long since our last hike together." Ashton's voice instantly sent waves of excitement through you, and you tried to calm yourself before answering,

"That sounds like fun Ash, I'd love to! What time you picking me up?" You cringed at how enthusiastic you sounded.

"4:45, be ready for a tough one!" He joked, "I'll see you tomorrow Y/N! Bye!"

You mumbled a goodbye back before putting your phone down and preparing for a lecture, "So I guess him and Kayla broke up." 

Calum snorted, "No shit sherlock. You wouldn't be hearing his voice otherwise."

Calum also knew your predicament with Ashton, and he hated it. "When are you going to be tired of how he treats you? I mean you're basically his booty call, but without the sex." He ranted, making your face turn red from shame.

"If you have such a problem with it, why haven't you said anything to him?" You threw back, tired of having to defend the actions you honestly didn't have an answer for why you did them.

"Because it's not my place, even if I did say anything, he wouldn't listen to me. It has to be from you for it to mean anything." You watched solemnly as Calum stood and grabbed his hoodie, throwing it on before looking over at you.

"Better get some rest. You got a lot of catching up to do with your man. I'll see you later."

You quickly stood to give Calum a hug and said your goodbyes before heading to bed, hating how excited you were to see Ashton again.

****THE NEXT MORNING****

Your alarm went off at 4:15, much to your annoyance. Why were you doing this again? O right, you were head over heels for Ashton, that's what.

You quickly got dressed, ate, and grabbed your things so right when Ashton's car pulled up to your apartment, you were in the front seat.

"Hello there stranger," Ashton quipped with a big smile on his face, taking in your appearance since you hadn't seen each other in almost 6 months "You dyed your hair?" Your cheeks immediately blushed, "Yea, I figured I needed some change in my life. Purple hair seemed like the solution, what about you with your beard, that's new."

Ashton giggled and rubbed his hand over the stubble while quickly driving through the still, early morning roads to get to your destination.

"My ex liked facial hair, I think I'm gonna keep the look for myself though." He casually spoke, not noticing how you stiffened at the mention of his recent ex. Didn't take long to get on the subject, you thought mournfully as you prepared yourself to ask the question he was waiting for.

"Ex huh? What happened?" You dully responded, shifting into the role he loved you to play. Concerned friend.

"The usual, we drifted apart, didn't have a lot in common. It's all good though because I get to see my best girl again!" He spoke, shoving his arm into yours as he finished speaking, making your heart flutter against your better judgement.

You both continued to chat, catching up on lost time as you got to the trail entrance, left the car behind, and quickly began hiking the mountain to get to the top before the sun rose.

Every moment of silence between the both of you talking left you to remember Calum's words, "You're basically his booty call."

'He called me his best girl' you pitifully argued with yourself, trying to condone how you drop everything and run for this man, all in the name of love.

Did he truly even care for you if he could easily not speak to you for months on end?

The longer you pondered on the topic, the more convinced you became that Calum was right. If you wanted change you had to say something, and today was your chance.

"We're here! Cut it a little close too." Ashton cheered as you both sat down on a rock, facing out to watch as the sky began to light up, promising a bright and beautiful new day.

You turned to watch Ashton's face, feeling like you were becoming goop from how perfect he looked in the suns soft glow.

"Ashton?" You mumbled, immediately making his attention turn to you. "I already know what you're going to say, and no I will not give you a piggyback ride all the way back down." He joked, not noticing how serious your face was set.

"It's not that. I....I want to ask you something." Ashton quirked an eyebrow, waiting for you to continue.

"What am I to you?" You quietly asked, already feeling regret pool in your stomach as you watched his features digest your words.

"Um.... you're one of my best friends? Why are you asking?" He nervously laughed, his hands slightly fidgeting in his lap.

"Am I really? Because it honestly doesn't feel that way when I don't hear from you for months at a time." You tried laughing it off as you said it, but it sounded more like scoff, making you cringe even more at how quickly the mood had shifted.

"I mean, sometimes I get a little busy with everything and forget to keep in touch, does that bother you? Because that's just how my life is." He was getting defensive, which was only confirming that you needed to push to the end.

"I always hear from the other boys though, and they are just as busy as you. Even when they are in relationships..." You muttered the last part, but he still heard it.

He stood up and took a few steps away, his back facing you and his hands on his hips before he turned back to you, "So that's what this is about? You're jealous of my relationships?"

You stood up as well, feeling anger rise in your chest "I'm not jealous of your relationships, I'm just fed up with how ours is. I am more than a booty call, more than a sometimes. I mean I love you damn it. I deserve better than this shit." You felt all the air leave your body as you realized everything you just said.

Surprise flashed across Ashton's features as he watched your tearful form turn away quickly, running down the hill and away from him.

AN: The linked song is what inspired this, over 1K words in an hour, I've really missed writing like this ngl.