Sometimes {Part 3}

Sometimes.

Sometimes Ashton questioned his motives when it came to his friendship with you.

Sometimes Ashton wondered what he could have done differently to make you stay.

It had been two weeks since the hike incident, and over 50 calls and 64 text messages later, Ashton had not heard anything from you. If he just had a chance to explain his side of the story, you would forgive him...right?

The problem was, Ashton wasn't even sure he had a side to the story. Every time he thought about his actions towards you, he felt sick. So he did the only thing he could think of, he went to Calum's house for some advice.

***

"Calum, stop!" You yelped out as you wrestled against his strong hands, causing him to only drive his fingers deeper into your sides. "No can do, I enjoy your laugh too much." Calum gleefully replied, his smile growing bigger at your desperate squeals.

"Please I'll do anything, ANYTHING!" You felt your lungs nearly pop from exertion as Calum suddenly stopped his assault. "Anything?" He cheekily questioned, slowly moving his face closer to yours. You felt your mind go hazy as you swiftly moved forward and placed your lips against his.

You could not believe how long it took for you to realize your feelings for Calum, and Calum could not believe you had finally noticed how hard he had fallen for you.

After you showered from the hike fiasco, you had both spent the entire day on the couch, talking, laughing, and crying. Somewhere along the way, you had commented how pathetic and stupid you felt.

***Flashback***

"Don't say that" Calum immediately snapped, making you jump slightly in surprise from his intensity. "I mean it's true, otherwise I wouldn't have been so hung up on a guy who couldn't care less about me." You argued back, confused.

"You aren't stupid or pathetic for caring for someone, even if they never felt the same. You were in love, plain and simple." You simply shook your head in denial, making Calum let out a huge huff. "Fine, if you're right then that means I am stupid and pathetic as well." 

Your eyebrows narrowed as you shuffled closer to a suddenly quiet and blushing Calum. "Why do you say that?" You questioned in a quiet tone, the atmosphere from earlier when you had hugged had returned and you weren't sure what you were feeling.

"I mean it's pretty obvious why Y/N." Calum tried to joke, but your serious face made him pause. "Calum..." You mumbled as the both of you instinctively moved your lips towards his. "Wait." He quickly spoke, making you pause in your actions and question if you had read the situation wrong. "Is this heartbroken Y/N, or Y/N?" He stared into your eyes, his question making your heart skip a beat. "Y/N. The dumbass who sometimes takes forever to see what was right in front of her."

***End Flashback***

A pathetic whine broke you and Calum apart, both of you looking down at the tiny fluffball who desperately needed attention.

"What do we think, bathroom or food?" Calum turned to you, his smile melting your insides. "Bathroom." You giggled as you pointed at Duke already sitting next to the front door, waiting for the both of you to hurry up.

"I think it would be a good time for a walk! Isn't that right Duke?" You lovingly rubbed the dogs head before grabbing his leash and Calum's hand, the both of you setting out the front door and down the street.

Calum leaned over and pressed a kiss against your cheek as he swung your conjoined hands back and forth. Soon you both turned the corner of the street, effectively leaving Ashton's sight.

Ashton let out the breath he had been holding before slowly getting back into his car and driving away.

Sometimes, the best thing to do, is to let someone go.