Late nights

Warnings: none
Word count: 1068

It was yet another sunny day in Pasadena California. My close friend Eddie had come every night to my work, which was a bar, and he would talk to me before my shift ended. I was making a few drinks for people when I notice Eddie walking in. He sits at the bar, waiting for me to finish serving people.

"Hey Ed what's up?" I say walking over

"I've got news! I'm going to New York!"

"Really? For how long? And who else is going?"

"I'm not sure how long but I'm going alone. There's this guitar but it's only sold in New York and I gotta have it."

"Oh wow must be special."

"Yea it's definitely worth the money."

"How much is it?"

"699 dollars."

"Woah that's a lot of money. You've been saving?"

"Yea I've been saving for months."

"Cool so when do you leave."

"Tomorrow morning."

"Oh nice that's exciting. So I guess no more work visits." I laugh

"Oh well it's only for a bit I'll be back as soon as I can."

"I was only joking Ed."

We talk for the rest of my shift and head home. Luckily he lived in the apartment next to mine.

I walk through my apartment door, immediately running upstairs. I change and get ready for bed. I quickly walk downstairs for water and to talk to my roommate, who also happens to be a close friend.

"What's up?" She says

"Ed is leaving for New York tomorrow and doesn't know when he'll be back."

"Awww you're not gonna have your boyfriend."

"He's not my boyfriend! Besides that's not even the point, no ones gonna visit me at work at two in the morning."

"I'm here."

"Ya true but you hate staying up late. And no one will stay up late and get gas station slushees with me."

"Alex will."

"Yea but it's not the same."

"You're just in love."

"I am not in love!!" I say

I wake up the next morning to my friend laughing on the phone. I quickly get ready and head downstairs to see her cuddled up on the couch with Alex, Eddie's brother.

"Oh you missed him, he just left." The two say

I grab shoes and run out of the house, seeing Eddie leaned up against his car smoking a cigarette. I run down the steps just in time.

"Hey y/n glad to catch you before I go."

"Yea me too. Have fun in New York."

"Have fun in Pasadena."

I roll my eyes.

"You might go insane without me." He jokes

"What makes you think that?"

"Cuz I know how much everyone else driving you insane."

I laugh.

"Your not wrong. Well I guess that's it? I'll see you some time...in the future?" I laugh

"Yea. See ya y/n!"

Two weeks pass and I haven't heard from Eddie. That is until I heard the phone ring.

"Hello?"

"Hey y/n!" I could hear his excitement

"Omg Eddie?! How's New York?"

"It's great! I just got the guitar."

"Oh cool! So I guess that means you'll be getting back soon?"

"Yea probably. Eager to see me huh?"

"What?! No it's just that your brother gets the cherry flavoured slushee and it's seriously disgusting."

"Ewww he likes cherry? I thought I knew this about him!" He laughs

"Ya and he gummy worms over gummy bears."

"He does? Bears are definitely better."

We both laugh.

"This might just be the phone in New York, but you sound Scottish!"

I knew I wasn't Scottish, he knew that too. I was born and raised in England, Blackpool to be exact.

"Scottish??"

"Ya! But I don't mind."

We laughed for a bit longer until he had to go.

Another week passed, Eddie still wasn't back. I'd be working the late shift tonight, until four in the morning, so even if he did come back I probably wouldn't see him.

I got ready for work and got in my car. I clocked in and grabbed everything I needed and started serving people. I guess being a bartender had its perks, I could choose the music and make fun drinks all night.

It was two a.m, few people were in the bar and I'd grown tired. A few people walked in, I noticed it was Alex and David.

"Hey guys what brings you in?"

"We know how much you love when Eddie comes and visits so now we're visiting." David says

I roll my eyes.

"What do you want to drink?"

"Whiskey!" They both said

I grabbed some cups and a bit of ice and poured jack daniels, giving them coasters.

And hour passes and they decide to leave. I spent awhile cleaning up and organising everything. It was now 4:03 a.m, I stand in the back of the bar, fixing my hair to leave. I used perfume and deodorant to get the stench of alcohol off of me. Suddenly I feel a pair of arms wrap around my waist, I turn around and scream.

I almost instantly melted when I saw Eddie.

"Holy shit you're back!"

"Holy shit that scream was loud." He laughs

"Omg I didn't think you'd be back so late, let alone visit me."

"Of course I came to visit you, I missed this."

I smile.

"So how was it without me?" He asks

"I guess it wasn't so bad. I mean I get hit on a lot more and cat called but that's really the only major change."

"You get hit on? People think we're a thing?"

"Yea, especially my roommate, she's kinda obsessed with the idea of you and I."

We both drive back home. We climb up the steps and get in.

"Night y/n! Love you." He says

"Nigh- wait what?"

His face went blank.

"I didn't mean to-"

I walk over to him.

"Ed?"

"Y/n?"

"What?"

"Maybe I do love you. Like a lot. New York was miserable without you, I could t get you out of my head."

"Ed I love you too."

He smashes his lips to mine, his hand finding my neck and sliding down my back, falling at my waist. His tongue slid into my mouth sending chills down my spine. Suddenly the porch light turns on. We see Alex and my roommate open the apartment door, looking groggy.

"We knew it!" They say

I blush. I guess they did know.