Camping trip part 1

Warnings: none?
Word count: 756

It was a boring Saturday night, summer break had just started. I sat in my bedroom, bored and alone when my mom walks in.

"Hey sweetie, we're going camping with the Van Halen's! Pack you're bags." She says

"But-" I try to protest but she'd already gone

I get up, thinking of what I'd need and packing it into a bag. Eddie and I had been friends since we were kids. I'd met him when he first moved here, I learned Dutch just so we could speak. I even helped him learn English. Ever since we'd been really close.

I start packing my bag, adding clothing, toiletries, sleeping bags and anything else I'd need. I went downstairs and threw everything in the trunk of my moms vista cruiser. I run back inside.

"Hey mom when are we leaving?" I ask

"Tomorrow morning so you better be ready."

I rush up to my room, closing the door and reaching for my phone. I dial Eddie's number.

"Hello?" He says

"Hey! Heard about the camping trip yet?" I ask

"Yea. It was kinda out of no where wasn't it?"

"Yea it totally was! I just found out ten minutes ago. I don't even get why we're doing this. Like out of all things we could do they chose camping?"

"Yea I know right! What are we gonna do there? It seems kinda boring."

We both laugh, chatting for a bit more and eventually hanging up.

I start to get ready for bed, falling asleep with the dread of this camping trip.

The next morning I wake up to my mom loudly banging pots and pans. I run downstairs.

"Mom what're you doing?" I rub my eyes

"Just getting ready for the trip." She walks off

I get ready for the day, wearing plaid pants and a band t shirt. I do some light makeup and throw on some boots and head downstairs, grabbing magazines before hopping in the car.

The drive to the campsite took about an hour. That's one long hour hearing my mom blabber about some hot guy she saw at the supermarket.

We eventually arrive at the campsite, meeting up with Eddie, Alex and their mom. Alex also decided to bring his girlfriend.

"How are we all doing today?" My mom smiled, acting like a camp counselor

My hand flies over my forehead in embarrassment.

"Ok let's do this. Alex and his girlfriend will be staying in the blue tent, Eugenia (Eddie's mom) and I will be staying in the yellow tent which leaves Eddie and y/n in the red tent. Sound good?" My mom says

We all sigh, nodding our heads and going to set up the tents. Eddie and I finish in no time, chatting and giggling along the way. My mom comes over to inspect our work.

"Wow looks nice you two! You're gonna do great in team building."

I shake my head in sheer embarrassment.

"Mom this isn't camp like we're five. You're not a camp counselor." I say

She jokingly punches me in the arm and walks away. I look over to see Eddie giggling at the situation.

"Oh my god! That's so embarrassing. That is not funny!" I laugh

"Oh come on y/n! She is totally doing this just to embarrass you." Eddie kept laughing

We all finished setting up camp, organizing sleeping bags and all that.

It's finally night time and we decide to make a fire. Alex looks for matches while Eddie and I are sent to get fire wood.

"So this isn't so bad right?" He says

"Yea I guess not. Maybe Alex will catch on fire and we'll have something better to laugh at." I say sarcastically

"Yea that would be kinda funny. Remember that time he convinced us he could climb a tree so he showed us and he got stuck?"

We both laugh. We collect enough firewood and head back to see Alex with the matches in his back pocket while he's flirting with his girlfriend.

We all sit by the fire, Eddie playing guitar while the rest of us sing along. It's eventually time to get to bed, we all get ready and crawl into our tents.

I lay down, the cold fabric of the sleeping bag envelopes me, causing me to shiver.

"Cold?" Eddie says

"Just a bit."

Next thing I know, he's pulled me closer, cuddling me in effort to keep me warm. I smile at the gesture, finding myself relaxing in his arms.