Trust

Phantom got a text from Robin at almost eight, when he checked they were directions and he wasn't excited. He knew this was probably going to end badly, he headed to the location and found Artemis, Batgirl, and Robin waiting for him. He jumped down and Artemis spoke first, "Took you long enough."

"I didn't want to come at all so be glad I'm here at all, plus there were some assholes trying to break into a car that I had to deal with on the way."

Batgirl looked concerned, "Are you okay?"

"I've got a symbiote living in my body and I beat that whole team of heroes, we barely got a scratch on us."

Robin spoke, "If you're ready we should go, the others are already waiting."

"Of course they are, they're waiting to trap me when I least expect it."

Artemis sighed, "You have serious trust issues."

"I was abused my whole life and got experimented on and tortured by a bunch of government assholes, you would too."

Artemis wanted to argue but she couldn't, he had trust issues because of her dad so she really couldn't blame Danny. Batgirl spoke, "We'll go through first."

With that she made Artemis go in first, then she went in, Robin looked at him, "You don't have to do this."

"Yes I do, it's just easier knowing you're going to be there."

Robin smiled for a second, "Whatever happens I promise I won't let them lock you up, okay?"

"They couldn't if they tried, but I know you'll help us if we need you."

"Without a second thought, I'll see you there in a minute."

Robin kissed his cheek before going through and Phantom smiled for a second before taking a breath. Toxin spoke, 'We really do not have to do this.'

"I know, and you know why I'm still doing it."

'I know, are you ready?'

"As ready as I can be, let's go."

Phantom walked through and he ended up in what looked like a cave, there were several familiar faces, most of them weren't friendly though. Aside from the young heroes Batman was there, he had a bad feeling about this but that wasn't a surprise. That bad feeling was proven right when Aqualad suddenly trapped them in water, Toxin quickly took over and they could breathe just fine.

Robin looked shocked before he threw a few disks at Aqualad and they knocked his weapons out of his hands. Toxin was released from the water and he growled, Miss Martian threw a few things at them and Toxin jumped back onto the wall. He was surprised when he stuck to the wall without a problem, he decided to think about that later and Robin, Artemis, and Batgirl moved between.

Robin glared at them, "You said you wanted to talk."

Batman spoke, "After he's not a threat."

Artemis was about to speak when Toxin started laughing, it was quiet, then it got louder, it unsettled all of them just a little. "When we're not a threat? We didn't attack first, we only fight to defend ourselves because you don't listen. Yes we are a threat to you because you make us into one, human are all the same you see something you don't understand and you attack it."

He jumped off the wall and landed in a crouch, "You don't know anything about us yet you assume we want to hurt people." He got up and growled, "If you want the truth let the Martian see what really happened, we'll let her see willingly if it'll get you to see sense."

The heroes looked at each other, Batgirl spoke, "Are you sure?"

"They've proven they won't listen so seeing might get them to realize we're telling the truth."

Batman looked at Miss Martian and nodded, she nodded back hesitantly and her eyes glowed as she looked through the memories they were letting her see. They let her see every time they ran into the team of found a body, seconds later she left their mind and took a step back. "They were telling the truth, they didn't do it they were chasing whoever did."

Kid Flash spoke, "What about the government building then?"

Toxin growled, "He broke in and saved me, they were experimenting on me tearing me apart trying to find out what I am. I was hurt and starving if he hadn't taken me I would be dead, I wasn't the first they did that too and I won't be the last."

All of the heroes were quiet, Batman broke the silence, "I'm sorry."

"You can say that all you want it changes nothing, you hunted him for saving me, you hunted us when we were trying to prove our innocence. And when we came here peacefully to talk you attacked us, we have a hard time believing you are sorry at all."

No one said anything, they couldn't blame them for feeling that way, Aqualad spoke, "We know you are innocent now, we can help you find out who is doing this."

Toxin was about to speak when Phantom stopped him, 'Let me talk to them.'

"They attacked you."

'And we're both pissed off about it, but you don't have to deal with them, we're partners.'

Toxin paused for a second before he growled, "Fine."

Toxin gave Phantom control and he didn't look happy, "You're most of the reason we haven't caught them already, why would we want your help?"

Batman spoke, "We have resources you don't, we can find them faster."

"You're not doing this out of the goodness of your heart."

Batman was quiet for a second, "Until they're caught I want you to work with the team."

The young heroes looked shocked, Superboy spoke, "You can't be serious."

"He's strong and skilled not to mention he known more then any of us about this murderer at this point, I am very serious." That shut all of them up, Batman looked at Phantom, "Your answer?"

Toxin growled a little, 'I do not like them.'

"You don't like most people."

'I like them less, if you want to do this I will agree but I will be keeping a close eye on them.'

Batman waited silently for an answer, Phantom looked at him, "We'll agree, but we're not part of your little menagerie of heroes. You have no say in what we do and if you try to give us orders I can promise that won't end well for you."

The heroes stared at him, he'd blatantly threatened Batman without blinking an eye and when they looked at Batman he didn't seem to care. Batman spoke, "Fine."

Phantom turned and left without another word, he still had to search for the killer and he was hoping it would be easier now that the heroes were out of their way. He was just hoping this wouldn't end badly, but knowing his life something would happen to fuck it up.