Chapter 36

Seth POV:

Sun mounts over the horizon, and the gulls float overhead, squawking and calling to one another. I wake up with increasingly loud wails ringing through my ears. I shake my head a bit and notice that Dean's head has nestled its way into the crook of my neck, and my hand is keeping him there. When had we fallen asleep on the beach?

My blurry vision clears out as my eyes settle on the most surreal of sights. Lo-and-behold, a seemingly infinite flock of seagulls trail above the ocean, each of them chirping in harmony, their white wings contrasting against the slowly brightening orange sky.

"Dean.." I hail and shake his right shoulder to stir him awake.

He opens his eyes groggily and lifts his head slowly. "Yeah?"

"It's the seagulls. Look." I can't tear my gaze away from the view at hand. It'd been a long time since I saw something mesmerizing and to be a witness to nature in all its glory like this.

I turn my head to look at him, wanting to know whether he sees it. My heart thuds in my chest much harder at his reaction, the blood in my veins simmering. I don't know how to breathe as his eyes are so soft yet so determined around the edges.

"You wanna come up for a kiss?" He asks and strokes my hair gently.

I nod immediately and lean my face in his height, resting half of my weight against his body. Shyly, I smile and lean down to press my lips on his.

As we start kissing, my eyes narrow and land on my secret bottle, which is ready to give me a shock. I break the kiss and grab the bottle, looking over the black pearls. How did it change like this?

"You okay?" He asks and lifts my left hand to his mouth so he can press a small kiss on the back of it just to put it down again and take it in both of his own hands

I just turn cold, but he starts rubbing soft and caring circles onto the back of my hand with his thumbs. My gaze still glues to the bottle and tries to know what has happened. Does it resemble any negative sign?

"Seth?" He shakes me a bit and shoves me away just to stare at my fearful eyes.

"I-I have to go." I stutter and get up from the sand, looking out the ocean one last time before running toward the house. I knew I shouldn't have to leave him like that, not knowing what was going on, but I had no other way.

Dean POV:

My heart gives a pinch when I know that Seth still distrusts me in the worst possible way. My breath is heavy, and I open my eyes, trying to think about anything but him. In the end, I give up because I know I love him. Despite that, I'm angry about how he is acting like I'm going to harm him.

As I try to know about what is going on in his mind, he shivers a little and leaves with the bottle without glancing back at me. It hurts me even harder, but I calm myself and get up from the sand, following him to Paige's house.

I don't want to be a bad boyfriend who will let their love suffer alone. I love him more than words can say, so I won't let him leave like this. I should make him remember that I love him forever.

I'm utterly exhausted when I reach his house and push open the door. It is dark inside, but the light in his room is on. As I approach his room, I can hear the voice that is speaking to himself in frustration.

When I enter his room, he drops the bottle down and looks at me with wide eyes. I glance at the bottle before turning my gaze back to him. Why did he worry this much about a bottle? Is it sentimental?

I walk over to the bed and shove him away to pick up the bottle, wanting to know what it is. My eyes land on the black pearls that are settling on the bottom of the bottle. Did I see this before?

I guess I have seen some blue or pink pearls on this bottle before. How had it changed into black ones? Is it a matter now? No! I throw the bottle on the bed and turn to look at him, trying to read his facial expression.

"Well, I see you're sad, and it makes me mad, still not knowing the reason." I clench my fists at my side and mutter under my breath for being a helpless, pathetic boyfriend.

He grabs my hand and mouths, "I'm sorry." His face is conveying the sentiment behind the words. Even though he seems sorry, his nervousness shows how much he is still affected. Without asking about anything that he doesn't want to spill, I hold him against my chest and try to soothe him.