Chapter 40

Dean POV:

I lean myself closer to Seth to clear my doubt, but some eager nurse enters the room and makes me startled. It causes me to groan out loud. I roll my eyes and lean back on the chair helplessly, glancing at his every movement.

"Oh, I'm sorry, Mr. Rollins. I didn't know you got a visitor." She grins at us and comes toward his bed. "The doctor told me to check on you every hour and make sure you were going to take these pills. If you excuse us for a second, Mr. Ambrose, I'll do my job." She says and begins to check out on his health condition.

He stares at me helplessly and begs me to stay secretly. As I understand his mental state now, I think it will be great to stay with him. If he blabbers something to others that he has just told me a minute ago, it will lead to trouble. And I don't want that.

"Can I stay here if I'm being nice and let you do your thing?" I ask the busy nurse and watch him visibly relaxing at my words.

"Don't worry, honey. I won't harm your precious one." She grins at me and then glances at him. "Yeah. You can stay, but don't tell the doctor, or I might run into trouble." She winks at us, not having the heart to kick me out of the room. She must have thought that she was interrupting our best moment, so the slightest thing she could do was this.

"God, you two are adorable. How long have you been together?" She asks and hands a couple of pills to him. While the nurse is meshing with me, he hides the medicine underneath the pillow and drinks the water casually, pretending he takes his tablets.

I don't say anything, even if I notice it. Under the watchful eyes of mine, the check-up goes on for about fifteen minutes. By the looks of it, the nice, but seemingly never stop talking nurse is getting on my nerves.

Once she has finally gone, he sighs heavily. "God, I thought she would never leave."

"Oh, I see," I say with such a soft expression on my face, wanting to make him feel good. I have never been so serious about anything like what I feel for him in my entire life, yet I have a trace of what he is.

Before we proceed with better things, Paige enters the room with a glass of orange juice and hands it to him. When he finishes drinking, she pats his shoulder and presses a small kiss on his head. "Now the medicine went your belly and began to do its work."

"What?!" His eyes go wide as he rubs his stomach helplessly, feeling the efforts of it.

"I knew you well, so I took the matters in my hands." She shrugs and leaves the room with an empty glass, not giving him any chance to argue or make further steps. Maybe she wouldn't know about his identity, but she knew about his character well.

"You know my entire body still hurts, but you being here makes it a little better." He says truthfully.

I sigh sadly and look around a little, "Speaking of, it's getting late. You should rest now, all right? I'll come and pick you up tomorrow then, okay?"

"No! Please stay." He grabs my arm frantically and clings onto me for dear life.

"Seth, baby. Hey, it's just a hospital. In about nine hours, I will be back, and we are out of here." I try to calm my suddenly panicked boyfriend.

"Can't you stay here tonight?" He begs, leaning against my side. "It's all new to me."

"I just fear this isn't allowed." I sigh and stroke his hair gently. I can understand his situation, but I don't know whether the stupid hospital allows me to stay with him.

"Please!" He whispers desperately. "I'm scared of hospitals." He explains weakly.

"I know." I eye my all of a suddenly frightened boyfriend, who looks around helplessly. "Okay. If it makes you feel better, I will screw the hospital rules and stay by your side tonight."

He exhales relief and presses a small kiss on my hand. "Will you lay down beside me?" He asks hesitantly.

I wonder what is going on with him and making him this vulnerable. If it had to do with the concussion or medicine, I should keep an eye on him every minute. To make him stress-free, I take off my shoes and lay down beside him.

He snuggles into my arms immediately and whispers, "Thank you."

"No need to thank me, baby," I whisper in his ear and begin caressing his hair. This gesture seems to relax him, and his cuddly self touches my heart in a way that I'm close to tears.

"Can you do this a little more?" He asks sweetly.

"You mean this?" I ask, giving him another gentle caressing. I feel nothing this strong as what I feel for the man who is cradling in my arms.

"Uh-huh. It's nice. Usually, my mom would do this whenever I was sick. I missed her so much." He mumbles and buries his face in the crook of my neck. He repeats the exact words about how much he has missed his family in his half-asleep from the pills that Paige has given to him earlier.

"Shush, baby. Sleep." I kiss his head and smile as he finally closes his eyes. I stare at him and remember each of his words, thinking about it. However, I got the major secret from him; I still didn't know how he changed into a human. I want to know about it, but I think it's not the right time.