Chapter 55

Seth POV:

The full moon is high in the black night sky as the merfolk breaching the surface of the water and tangling in mesmerizing images. My eyes widen when an unexpected thing is going to happen in front of me. The pain in my heart raises as I hold my hand out to stop the act, but it's getting no use.

As the merfolk encircling me, Dean follows behind me and falls on me without caring about his life. I tried to leave him for the ocean, but he left everything for me. It's what a genuine love! Now our love is limitless, so this ocean should have decided our remaining moments.

The water is splashing with a thud as our bodies being pulled by pressure. The moonlight reflects on my face as my mind is empty without thinking anything. The people around us move away and glance at us shockingly.

I can feel his arms wrap around me possessively as his breathing gets difficult. I grab his shoulders frantically and hold him against me, not wanting to lose him permanently. "Dean!" The voice in my head cries out. "Dean!" But none of the words can come out.

He lifts our held hands and smiles weakly, "I-I told you!" He kisses my forehead and brushes some strand of hair off my face before resting his head against mine. His hand never loses my hold when he drifts into unconscious slowly.

I shake him violently to wake him up, but he doesn't. "Dean!" I scream aloud that I contain tsunamis to drown the universe. For the things I want to keep and hold carefully in my heart, destroying in front of me and making me think that I have made a wrong decision or screwed everything up.

Because of the heavy force, the ring slips out of my finger and disappears into the dark water. Within a second, the ring blows up and turns into a big one that is enough to produce a glow of energy around us.

It's like we have built an island for just two of us within the midst of all the hurricanes and violence swirling around us, safe and shelter from the past and the unknowns of the outside world, and nothing can touch us here.

Even when everything else is unclear, even when I can't put a name to all this that clenches at my heart, it is the one true constant. It makes everything go still. It will always be here to lead us back to ourselves, to what truly matters. As intense as our hearts!

The crystal shines brightly and removes from my ring, swirling in the water. It provides warmth for a specific distance and wanders into the water until reaching the sculpture of Ocean Goddess. It fixes on her crown as another gemstone and does my responsibility.

At that, my legs attach and produce a colorful tail of mine. My people chant heavily as our Goddess appears in front of us with a crystal in her crown. Everything seems to halt for a second as she flashes a smile that brings light to the entire ocean.

The smile on her face tells me that everything will be all right. Her fingers swirl in the water and pull all the pearls from their shells. The pearls encircle us and rotate constantly until scattering into the waves. With then, she produces a glow in the water and disappears out of nowhere.

My friends are hovering around us and trying to help him, but they can't. The excitement in their faces downs as his head throws back into my shoulders, holding me tightly. We may be different people, but our contrasting pieces fit just right. Like we are always meant to occupy the space next to each other.

He's the home I want in my entire life, so I won't let him die. I wind my body around him, unyielding and strong, shoulders built to carry immense weights of our life, and I know nothing can uproot us. We can outlast all the disasters and calamities and uncertainty that life wants to throw in our path.

Maybe we might falter for a moment, but we will always survive it. We are as solid as the forces that keep the earth together. And we will always be drawn back into each other, over and over again, crashing together like tectonic plates, creating fire and energy and life, creating unknown lands, creating new mountains to climb, however far away the ocean takes us.

Without getting a fear of being encountered, I reach the surface and draw my attention back to the ship which has brought us here. I wrap my arms around his unconscious body and follow the ship frantically to reach the land.

I try my best to keep my head above water when we're out of sight of the ship. I have to get him to land and make sure he is all right. I manage to get him to a place where his surfer friends' houses are. I drag him to shore as best I can with a tail and no legs. I press my lips to his and try to breathe life back into him.

I do my best to help him get all the water out of his body as he starts coughing. When he collapses back on the sand, I settle beside him happily. I rest on my elbow and lean over to smile down at him. I brush the wild blond hair out of his face and watch recognition flood his features.

He grins before pulling me down into a kiss. It doesn't last all that long before he passes out again. Without having a heart, I slide back into the ocean and keep a close eye on him.