#63

A sharp knock on my door startled me awake from my heavy, depressing thoughts.

What is happening?  Who is at the door at this time of the night?

I walked nervously to the door, making sure I  was fully aware of any danger that could be.

Before reaching the door, I glance back to my window, or rather, at whatever resided outside my window.   Thoughts clouded my mind, was I safe? Whatever had protected me through the night up till this time had done it from the window, whatever it was, I wished it to never leave me again.

The banging on the door grew insistent, and a voice followed. "JJ! Will you get your lazy ass out of bed? Or would you like me doing that for you?"

I immediately pulled the door open to reveal Wulf's harsh glare.

"What is going on?" I asked.

On seeing me, her tan skin immediately paled and her eyes bulged out as if she saw a ghost, then as if recognizing me a few seconds later, she replied.
"Good morning to you too, get your ass down to the pack house for breakfast now, or you can stay the entire journey without food."

Breakfast? Was it morning already? I'm pretty sure I didn't sleep a wink last night, how didn't I notice the hours that had passed, or the glowing harsh light from the sun? I guess I was really deep in thoughts.

I didn't even have time to reply her before she stomped away. Weird, what crawled up her ass this time around.

I quickly ran to the bathroom to do all the necessities, when I was finally presentable, I picked up my sneakers ready to bolt out, only to be caught by the light breeze coming from the window above my bed and I couldn't help but relive last night memory. 

~~~~~~~~~~

The night before.

Grumbling and cursing Dean in every form of  insults in the books, I high tailed to my room.

Yeah, I didn't expect him to change over night and help me, but at least he saw how frightened I looked a moment ago. I knew he was heartless, but not this heartless.

Even as angry as I was, a voice in my mind reminded me that he had still gotten me medicine for my wound.  Even though the voice didn't sound like that of Cicero's, I still felt bitter. I don't blame him though,  who would want to be caught up in a mess like me and my problems, I'm sure he had his own problems, he didn't need my issues and insecurities.

I groaned, thinking about Cicero and what I had said to her. I immediately felt regret and guilt fill me up, I didn't mean any of it, she was right, I was caught up in my emotions and I said some hurtful things to her, I didn't even know how to apologize to her.

My chest felt tight, and I felt empty.  I only just noticed how different it felt without that buzzing warmth within me, Cicero was more than a voice in my head. I trusted her a lot, even more than myself.  Her instincts were spot on.

I tried reaching for her, but I couldn't, she had locked herself in a protective shield deep inside a barricade.

Maybe that's why when I entered my room, I didn't notice the change of atmosphere,  or how cold the room seemed.

Still grieving in my sorrow, I didn't realize sooner how dark the room had gotten, and when I did, my body reacted faster than my brain.

With an impeccable instinct,   I threw myself to the floor just as a swish sound brush passed my head.