#69

The trek to the den of the dragons took longer than predicted. Nevertheless, we got to our destination. Or so I thought.

Starting down upon us was a giant Mountain.

"Umm, how are we going to get around this mountain?" I asked Kasit.

"We don't need to get around it JJ. Welcome to my home."

"Your home?"

"When I said they live in caves, you didn't believe me?" Wulf asked. 

"This isn't a cave? It's a mountain for God's sake." 

Ro laughed at my tone, ruffling my hair a little. He put his hand over my shoulder and whispered, "don't be scared JJ, I'll protect you." 

Before I could reply, Dean snickered. "I doubt it."

"Don't be mean Dean," Jobber said, coming to my defense. 

I threw him a thankful nod, I couldn't deal with Dean when I had a mountain of a problem in front of me.

"Please tell me there is something like a ladder to climb up." 

"Ladder? Come on JJ, why would we need a ladder when we av two capable ands." Kasit replied. 

Ro, still with his arm around me, reassured me it wasn't that hard. And Jody smiled at me, but before I could return it, she turned to Jobber, Enga, and Tharza with a mischievous smile and announced.

"Race you guys to the top!" 

Before anyone could stop them, they exploded with battle cries and began climbing the mountain like skilled monkeys. 

I could only stare in wonder as the person who had sworn to protect me just seconds ago also joined in the race shouting with excitement as he left me behind. Ro didn't take long to catch up with the other four and it wasn't long before they left my sight.

"Wow… why am I not surprised," I grumbled. 

Kasit and her other two creature friends went next, and Wulf followed. I was left with Meg and Dean.

Of course, Dean looked me up and down and with a smirk, he went his way.

"Go on JJ, all you need to do is grab protruding rocks and pull yourself up, make sure your legs and hands support your weight and you will be good to go."

Yeah, let my legs support my weight, so easy right? I shouldn't worry about falling to my death. So frigging great. 

I did as instructed and began to pull myself up, it wasn't a walk in the park as they made it seem, it was very difficult. After taking the first two steps, I looked up and almost fell.

How the hell was I going to go all the way.

"Come on banshee, don't tell me you're already tired." 

"Shut your trap psycho." 

Indeed, I was already tired, but he didn't need to know that. 

Looking up at Dean, I expected him to have gone higher up, but he was only a few feet ahead of me, it almost looked like he waited intentionally.  

Meg stayed behind me as I struggled, and Dean remained a few steps ahead always watching me. 

"It won't do you any good to keep looking down banshee. You're almost there, just keep going." 

Almost as soon as he said that. I looked down again and almost threw up. If I had made a mistake and slipped, my corpse wouldn't have been pretty.

With that thought in mind, I swallowed down my fear and looked up. My full attention was on Dean, I followed his steps closely and before I knew it, I was at the top with Dean dragging me up to a flat surface.