Chapter 2 - Hyun Nam

The following day it was back to normal. Everyone was at the table, and Mother was already giving her oldest daughter a piece of her mind about how she has been coming home late lately:

"All those 2-hour-sleep you are getting will come back to you one day, you know. I asked you to take vitamins, but it won't be even useful if you keep on doing this!" she scolded Eun Kyung, burying her face in her hands. Hyun Nam took the usual seat beside her sisters.

They never really speak to her nowadays, though the three of them used to be extremely close to each other, you can't think them apart. Their closeness ended so suddenly, Hyun Nam didn't know what she had done wrong. It happened six years ago when Eunkyung had turned 20, Ji Hyeon turned 18, and Hyun Nam was only 15. One night, Father had taken the two oldest inside his home office to speak with him. Hyun Nam waited patiently outside on the couch to resume their sleepover in Eunkyung's room. However, she didn't get to continue the sleepover after they came out of Father's office, nor she had any sleepovers with them after that. They left with a sneer showing disgust towards a clueless Hyun Nam and went to their bedrooms. Hyun Nam had thought to ask Father or her sisters what was going on, but she didn't find it necessary to bother them.

"Have you read the details for this weekend's investment conference with SM Entertainment?" Father asked Hyun Nam. She had read through the guide, but it was still difficult to understand. "Yes, but can you explain it to me again? It was just not understandable. I don't know your motive, Dad," she replied. Her father smiled and dropped his breakfast to get the dining room projector on; it automatically went to his guide, not the guide sent to Hyun Nam. "As you know, the Choi K Group will be investing in a South Korean agency called SM Entertainment. I expect all of you to know that already, especially our dear Ji Hyeon," Father smiled towards Ji Hyeon. Ji Hyeon was a K-pop enthusiast; she knew the history of any idol you mention. Framed posters filled her room, and she had spent almost all her life going to concerts.

"If someone looked at this investment, they wouldn't know what the Choi K Group would gain from the investment than only profits: SM Entertainment has the bigger gain in this. However, my daughters, I would like to show you why this investment has more in store for us." The presentation continued throughout the morning. Hyun Nam thought she had been lucky that the semester ended already or she would've been late to school, though the professors wouldn't mind.

"I expect everyone to be there since it is a significant conference to Choi K, especially Hyun Nam, who will be doing a speech at the end representing Choi K Group," Father beamed at Hyun Nam, who was surprised by the sudden announcement. Eun Kyung whispered something to Ji Hyeon, but Hyun Nam couldn't hear what was said, but she heard a small giggle from her sisters.

"You will do great, dear. We believe in you," Mother comforted her daughter and put her hand on Hyun Nam's, who smiled at her mother's reassurance.

The conference was held in one of the hotels under Choi K Group, the Grand Summit Hotel & Spa. The Choi family was not the first one there. People Hyun Nam recognized from the office came up to Father to greet him and his family cheerfully. However, she noticed some unfamiliar faces who she realized were people from SM Entertainment. Among the executives who greeted the Choi family at their table, seven people were seated at a different table; and Hyun Nam knew they were not executives. The five looked like people around her age, and the two older; there were three women and four men. Hyun Nam looked away when they stood up and headed to their table. She could hear Ji Hyeon squirmed excitedly.

"May we introduce our seven representatives of the groups in SM," said the man standing nearest to Father. The seven came and bowed to the family. After they left, Hyun Nam was too curious to worry about her and her sisters; she asked Ji Hyeon who they were.

"You don't know? I'll educate your poor little mind. The oldest just now as Leeteuk, the leader of Super Junior," she pointed at the man sitting last before all his younger ones sat. "Now, that girl with the brownish hair is Kang Seulgi of Red Velvet; her vocals are out of this world," Ji Hyeon beamed at the girl who was laughing at Lee Teuk's joke.

"So, Leeteuk is 40 and Seulgi is 29. Next, we have the second oldest there; she's 34. Taeyeon of Girl's Generation, she's sort of going solo now, but she's still in the group. Her vocals are also spectacular," Ji Hyeon looked at the woman with short black hair with admiration.

"The last girl is around your age. Winter or Kim Minjeong is 22 and in a girl group that had their debut two years ago, Aespa," she pointed at the girl who was talking to a guy Ji Hyeon was going to introduce next. Though Hyun Nam recognized Min Jeong, she had seen her somewhere at school when she was younger.

"The youngest guy there is Lee Jeno; he's two years older than you and is NCT Dream. They debuted six years ago," Ji Hyeon smiled at the guy talking to Min Jeong, obviously liking Jeno more than the rest. "Well, moving on. The last two boys are from EXO and WayV, the one with the blond platinum hair is Chanyeol from EXO (he's 31), and the guy beside him is Ten from Wayv (he's 27)."

Hyun Nam had regretted asking her all that; it went for a while before she finished talking about how amazing each of them was. The conference luckily started before Ji Hyeon can add more about their awards. "Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. Welcome to the investment conference between Choi K Group and SM Entertainment. We will start the conference now..." the Master of Ceremonies introduced, and everyone clapped. Throughout the whole presentation, Hyun Nam could only hear a bit of it. She was holding on for dear life onto her crumpled speech paper she has been practicing silently while the executives presented their plans for SM.

"Excuse me, Ms. Hyun Nam. You're up soon," one of the employees from Choi K tapped Hyun Nam's shoulder. She was in disbelief. A 3-hour presentation ended in 10 minutes, or so she thought. She was too nervous about her speech; she didn't realize time had gone by faster.

"Good luck, Hyun Nam," Mother smiled proudly and tidied up her daughter's hair. Hyun Nam walked up to the front, some people noticing Choi K's president's daughter passed by them. She had to wait for another 5 minutes before the master of ceremonies introduced her.

"Good evening, I am Choi Hyun Nam. Daughter of Choi Dong Min, the founder of Choi K Group, and I am speaking here today as a proud representative of the Choi K Group, as well as the future president of the company," Hyun Nam started, and everyone clapped. She could see Mother's and Father's proud smiles, clapping the loudest in the room. 

-----------------------------------------------------

Author: If you enjoyed the chapter, don't forget to vote! Leave any comments/DMs for feedback, I would very much appreciate them. Thank you once again <3