Chapter 40 - Hyun Nam

"Come on," Eunkyung said, putting her arms around her as she led Hyun Nam through the streets of Tokyo. It was the last day of the concert and New Year's Eve. In the last two days, every 6 pm, the streets would be filled with more people and more cars because of the concert NCT Dream was having. But since it was New Year's Eve, it was even more crowded.

The only days she had a break from meetings was the weekend before New Year's, and also the weekend NCT Dream was having their 3-day concert. Though she wouldn't be coming, her curiosity urged her to check the members' Instagram accounts and they sure did post a lot from the concerts. Even Jisung and Renjun posted a group picture with both Aespa and NCT Dream in the dressing room. Just a couple of posts below, she saw another group picture, but this time, it was the one with Hyun Nam inside it. She turned off her phone to stop her from becoming more dreadful.

"What's wrong with her?" Ilsung asked his sisters but they just shushed him up. The four of them were wearing heavy coats and walking from shop to shop to browse what the holiday discounts could offer to them. Retail therapy wasn't something Hyun Nam usually does, but this time, her sisters urged her to shop with their money. Even Ilsung gave his credit card to Hyun Nam, seeing that hers was tied to Father's company. Her arms were full of bags from different stores but all she wanted to do was drop everything and run to the venue right before the concert started and apologize for everything. She didn't care about being mad at Jeno. She just wanted to see his smile again. It was almost time for dinner now but they all decided to head back to their hotel rooms just because all the restaurants were already full. Though they could just go into any restaurant and get a table because of just who they were, they wanted to spend time alone away from all the noise to celebrate their first new years with Ilsung.

They were all gathered in Hyun Nam's room, which had the best view of the city. The sisters saw Ilsung for the first time without his usual suit and tie; he was now wearing matching pajamas.
"I didn't know you had those kinds of pajamas. Adorable," Eunkyung teased and pinched Ilsung's cheeks who swatted his sister's hand away out of embarrassment. They ordered a ton of room service and it looked like they were having a full course meal, right on the hotel's floor because it wouldn't fit on the table. It was just them sitting on some extra bed sheets they had laid on the floor, the food beside them, and the big window overseeing Tokyo from the 36th floor of their hotel.

"NO, NO. I WON! LOOK AT THAT!" Ilsung argued with Ji Hyeon, placing his face so close to the board game they were playing. The first time she saw Ilsung was when he was already drunk. He wasn't chaotic nor sleepy, he just became more... Ilsung.

"No! Look, it's out of the line!" Jihyeon responded, pushing Ilsung away to see her bottle cap closer.

"Just bring out a ruler and we'll see if he did win," Eunkyung sighed and Ilsung ran out of the room. Hyun Nam smiled at her siblings, she never has felt so happy and content. Seeing her family like this, it feels like she could conquer the world with them. But then her chest ached. Her heart was full but it felt like a piece of it was still missing. The invisible string tugged her body. She let go. It tugged at her again and again.

"STOP!" she screamed. Ilsung froze at the doorway, Jihyeon and Eunkyung looked up.

"What's wrong, Hyun Nam? Stop what?" Eunkyung asked, still sober enough to make sense of what her sister was saying.

"I want to see him. I WANT TO!" Hyun Nam started crying but covered her face, hiding her weak self from her older brother.

"Who? Our dad?" Ilsung asked, closing the door.

"No, you idiot. There's this... guy," Eunkyung bit her lip while hugging her youngest sibling.

"What's stopping you?" Ilsung asked innocently, sitting down beside Hyun Nam with his head hanging on one side like how a child would ask her parents why the sky was blue.

"I-," Hyun Nam wanted to explain but no words came out of her mouth. What exactly was stopping her? She didn't know either. Was it because of her pride that she didn't want to cave in first and talk to him? "The Choi family can never bow down to anyone," her father had said but it was so ridiculous that she didn't keep it on her mind. Now she felt like she was doing exactly what her father asked her to do.

"I'm leaving," Hyun Nam stood abruptly, walking to her closet where her coat was hanging.

"Hyun Nam it's so cold outside and it's 10 pm! You can talk to him in the morning," Eunkyung begged but Hyun Nam was already running out the door. She heard another cry from her sister but she disappeared into one of the elevators.

---

"That was amazing! Have a nice holiday everyone!" Jeno smiled, bowing to all the staff with NCT Dream. The 7 of them were already in their padded coats and sweaters after having the last concert before the 2-week concert break.

"You all did great," Winter exclaimed, clapping her hands together.

"Where are we going to spend New Year's?" Jaemin asked the group.

"Find a restaurant nearby and let's drink to a good year," Renjun smiled, putting his arms around Chenle and Jisung as he led both Aespa and NCT Dream out of the backstage. Jeno didn't follow. Did she actually mean what she said?

He imagined what the weekend would feel like with Hyun Nam by his side, smiling at him in between songs, greeting him with a hug before every concert. He had the whole weekend planned, even New Year's but it all just disappeared into nothing.

"Jeno. Are you coming?" Jaemin asked. Jeno nodded and followed behind his friend. They could no longer hear shouts from the fans anymore as they all went home to their families and friends to celebrate the holidays. Jeno was happy he got to celebrate with all his friends but it almost felt like it was nothing without her here.

"We can go see her tomorrow morning, don't worry," Jaemin smiled, knowing exactly what was on Jeno's mind, he just shrugged as a reply. They were all in their cars and Jeno was going in his with Jaemin when he heard-

"No, I know him! He's a friend of mine!" a girl shouted.

"You don't know how many girls say that to my face. You can't fool me," the security guard pushed the short girl away but from a glimpse of her eyes, Jeno could see who it was. He let go of Jaemin and ran as fast as he could. He could recognize her even from her voice. He could know who she was just by how she walked. Even if she was disguised as someone else, he could know who she was by her smile. Especially those sparkling eyes he had been lost in so many times before.

No New Year's drinks or laughter were on his mind. He wasn't thinking of how he performed just an hour ago. Jeno only had one person in mind. Right from the very beginning. It was always her.

"Hyun Nam!"

-----------------------------------------------------

Author: If you enjoyed the chapter, don't forget to vote! Leave any comments/DMs for feedback, I would very much appreciate them. Thank you once again <3