Chapter 35 - Jeno

A week has passed since his scandal started and Jeno has already signed up for a court hearing in two days. The dream members have flown to the Philippines to start their tour and whether Jeno would come later, which was decided by the results of the hearing. Hyun Nam promised to come to court but she had some exciting news she was going to share on that day as well. News that 'had the power to pour some happiness into her life after her mother's death (she texted just a couple of hours ago). Jeno was feeling all the emotions. Excited because he grew up watching crime movies and he could actually be in a court now. Nervous as to what would happen if he failed his case or if he will do anything wrong at the hearing. Miserable because he would miss a couple of the first concerts in NCT Dream's tour.

The members promised to give a tribute to Jeno during the concerts so the fans will still be reminded to support him through this case and that brought comfort to Jeno's heart. Though his mind was filled with thoughts about the hearing, he couldn't get the little boy out of his mind completely. Jeno would feel anxious when the boy calls him but he feels more anxious when he doesn't. It felt like the boy was plotting Jeno's next suffering. He hoped everything would come to an end as New Year's was coming in less than a week. He wanted to spend his New Year's with his members as usual. How the warm and strong drinks travel down their throats after they cheered to a happy year on their dorm's balcony. The only thing in his life right now was her. Oh, how grateful he was that they were alright. No obstacles like those novels he liked to read. Nobody left without a message. Nobody went off to a foreign country to pursue their dreams. Nobody was in a relationship and had to choose between two men. For once, he didn't want his life to be like those novels.

"Jeno?" Winter knocked on his dorm's door. He opened the door and saw Winter with a bag in her hands. By seeing her clothes, Jeno could see she just got back from shooting. The last time Winter came to his dorms was for Chenle's birthday. It was only a small gathering of 15 people including the members. That was the last time Winter was going to drink that much, Jeno always reminded her of how she cried on the bathroom floor on Jeno's shoulders because the guy Winter was seeing stopped texting her with the reason 'I am too busy with schedules, this won't work'. It was weird for her to see the dorms empty when it was usually filled with laughter.

"I just wanted to come to wish you good luck. I can't go to the hearing, my manager didn't allow me," Winter said, taking out some food her members had cooked that day. Jeno came to see what Winter brought only because he knew her members cooked mouth-watering dishes.

"Nervous?"

"Obviously."

They both took plates of grilled beef before sitting on the couch.

"She's coming to the hearing, right?" Winter asked before eating another slice. Jeno nodded in silence. Winter guessed that he was focusing on the food.

"Are you guys dating or something?" Winter lifted her feet up and placed her almost-empty plate on the coffee table before taking a sip from the bottle of tea she was given at the shooting. Jeno coughed, almost choking on the beautiful beef. He swallowed, hitting his chest before answering his friend.

"I don't think so."

Winter arched her eyebrows.

"You don't think so? What does that mean?"

"I don't know where we're at right now. We've never talked about anything related to... you know."

"Well, where are you with her now?"

"I mean, we've-"

Just when Winter was going to hear the juicy part. She breathed out an annoyed sigh as Jeno's phone rang. Jeno saw 'Mr. Jungho' on the caller's name and he immediately picked it up. An intrigued look appeared on Winter's face.

"I think we should meet, this scandal was a bad blow from that boy," Mr. Jungho said.

"How did you know it was him?"

"Just a feeling. Okay, open the door now, please."

Jeno jumped to his feet and ran to the door and saw the man he was talking to through the peephole. He hung up and opened the door.

"Who is he, Jeno?" Winter asked, getting up from the couch.

"Nobody," Jeno briefly answered before shutting the door in Winter's face and confronting the man standing in front of him.

"What are you doing here? Coming up to my dorms out of the blue. This is too dangerous," Jeno said in a hushed voice. Mr. Jungho kept a composed and calm face which was not surprising as he would keep that face even if a criminal was attacking him.

"Any messages or phone calls from that boy, tell me what he says. Everything. I'm saving you because I was responsible and I see that you're very close with Hyun Nam. And for the latter, I hope that wasn't your girlfriend," Mr. Jungho said but his tone changed as he said the last sentence. It made Jeno shudder.

"She's not my girlfriend, she's a friend and I will tell you everything."

"I don't want you to be killed," Mr. Jungho said before he left.

Every encounter Jeno has with Mr. Jungho, he was always left with shock. Mr. Jungho had that effect on people except for Hyun Nam who he always greeted with a smile on his wrinkled but fierce face. Jeno's shock didn't stop as he opened the door with Winter staring at him with her bloodshot eyes.

"Don't scare me like that-"

"Who wants to kill you? Tell me or I'll beat them to it right at this moment."

-----------------------------------------------------

Author: If you enjoyed the chapter, don't forget to vote! Leave any comments/DMs for feedback, I would very much appreciate them. Thank you once again <3