Chapter 39 - Hyun Nam

And like what Jeno had said, he arrived a few days after in Tokyo. A text message was sent to Hyun Nam: "We're in the same city!" But she didn't reply yet. Her mind was filled with the list of meetings coming up the next few days; everybody was tired already. Running around going to 3-4 meetings almost everyday, they never could relax. Hyun Nam couldn't believe New Years was just in a few days. She wasn't ready to leave this year yet, neither were her siblings.

    "Jeno texted you, dude." Jaemin texted Hyun Nam when she finally had the chance to open her phone after having an extra meeting at dinner. She laid down on her bed to see Jeno's text from this morning. Jaemin said he had seen Jeno look at his phone the whole day and finally caught a glimpse of what he was looking at, and it was his chat with Hyun Nam. She immediately felt bad and answered Jeno with a quick 'sorry' for replying so late. "We are indeed," Hyun Nam texted back with a smiley face at the end.

    "I guess you texted him back. His face lit up," Jaemin texted Hyun Nam again which made her smile, too. Waiting for Jeno's reply, she went to Instagram to check if Jeno updated his private instagram—almost every idol had a private instagram they could freely post on, only a couple of their most trusted friends could follow and usually the account other idols follow to—and she saw that he did. "To Tokyo," it said and it was a short boomerang of the seat he was in. She smiled at the video but because she was staring at it for so long, she noticed something. Someone. On the TV screen, she saw the reflection of a familiar woman sitting next to Jeno.

    "Oh. My. God. Did Winter come, too?" Hyun Nam asked Jaemin.
    "I was hoping you wouldn't see that story. I didn't want to tell you, either. I knew it would make you down," Jaemin replied with a crying and heartbreak emoji. He took a picture of the room he was in and it was a hotel room. Renjun and Mark were sitting on one of the beds, watching something on a phone. Chenle and Jisung were on the floor playing a game of cards. On the other bed was Haechan sleeping already with Jeno sitting beside him on his phone. Coming out of the toilet was Winter.

    "Did she come alone? Doesn't she have schedules?" Hyun Nam asked again, trying to make it look like she was actually annoyed with Winter when she was actually genuinely curious.
    "Aespa's taking a break for the holidays. They're all coming here in two days and some others, too," Jaemin replied. Hyun Nam closed her phone. The two were inseparable. She had no right to be mad though. They weren't doing anything that should make her mad. But they were just spending so much time together it pained Hyun Nam to see that.

    "Hyun Nam? What's wrong?" Eunkyung asked, opening the door to her youngest sister in her pajamas, tears streaming down her face. She brought Hyun Nam inside and took some tissues to dry off her sister's tears but she refused to and pulled Eunkyung into a deep hug.
    "I don't know what's going on! Is my presence not enough? Why does he have to bring her everywhere?!" Hyun Nam cried into Eunkyung's shoulder. The scene looked like when Hyun Nam was 6 and Mother had left to go to her sister's house for a couple days. Eunkyung put her arms around Hyun Nam and stroked Hyun Nam's hair.

    "I don't need reassurance right now. I just need to take my mind off of him," Hyun Nam finally pulled away after a couple of minutes and wiped her tears with the tissues Eunkyung gave her. Suddenly, notifications started coming in through Hyun Nam's phone.
    "Can you answer them?" Hyun Nam asked her sister as she laid her back on the bed's headboard.
    "It's from Jeno, though," Eunkyung bit her lip, looking at Hyun Nam for an answer.
    "What did he say?"
    "He's inviting you to his 3-day concert this week."
    Hyun Nam paused.

    "Just say I can't come, I have a meeting on that day."
    Eunkyung typed her sister's response and Jeno replied back with another invitation for the two days to come. Hyun Nam said the exact same thing, Eunkyung nodded and texted Jeno back.
    Riing....Riing....
    "He's calling, Hyun Nam."
    Hyun Nam groaned and took the phone Eunkyung was giving to her.

    "Hello?" Hyun Nam started, sniffling.
    "Are you sick? A cold or something?" Jeno asked worriedly.
    "No," she answered.

    "Is there something you want to talk to me about? I feel like you're making excuses. Who has meetings on the weekend of New Year's, Hyun Nam?" Jeno said, his tone changed. Hyun Nam felt like Jeno was starting to be annoyed. With her mutual feeling, she didn't care what she was going to say next.
    "Maybe I don't want to come."
    "Why would you say that? What's wrong? Tell me."
    "I'm not going to."
    Jeno let out a frustrated sigh.
    "Bye," he said before hanging up on her.

    "Fuck him," Hyun Nam said, throwing her phone on the sheets. She was so angry with Jeno but she felt sad that she just said that, too. If she wasn't mad, she would definitely come all three days and even spend New Year's with Jeno. Her tears were at the edge of her eyes but Eunkyung was able to stop them.
    "Come on, let's watch your favorite TV show," Eunkyung smiled and put on 'The Office' on the TV. Her focus kept on wavering. She thought of what Jeno was doing right now and remembered that he was at one of the member's rooms when he was calling her. Did Jeno put her on speaker? Did all the members hear her say that? She felt bad for the rest of NCT Dream if they heard that. She wanted to clarify that it had nothing to do with them personally. But Jaemin didn't text her again. He didn't ask if she was okay. Maybe Jeno had gone back to his room. She was worried if she would bump into any of them as they were staying at the same hotel.
    An image of Winter laying on the bed in Jeno's arms crossed her mind and she wanted to hit her head on the wall thinking that. It made her feel worse. She was just hoping that it wasn't real. But what she didn't know was that a guy had a tear stream down her cheek a couple floors below her.