Chapter 12 - Hyun Nam

The feeling of being called to present your end-of-year project in front of the whole grade or the feeling when you mistake someone for someone else in public but already said 'hi'. Hyun Nam was feeling all those emotions. She hid her face in her hands, what will become of her now? Will Father find out? Will she be punished? Or worse... will she be thrown out of the executive team to never work there ever again? Her mother must've known what she was thinking because she sat beside her on the couch and stroked her hair in a way that meant she was reassuring Hyun Nam.

"So, Hyun Nam. Aren't you going to introduce your friends to me?" Mother smiled and squeezed Hyun Nam's shoulders which made her slowly look up to two smiling faces. If they knew what could have happened, they wouldn't be smiling so brightly.

"Yes, of course. This is Jeno and Jaemin. They're artists under SM Entertainment," Hyun Nam coughed, trying to break the awkward tension.

"Wow, I'm sitting across artists. Your mothers must be so proud of you. Not only that, their sons are very handsome as well," Mother gushed. Hyun Nam has never seen Jeno and Jaemin like this before. They were saying 'thank you' and were smiling, but after her mother's compliment, they shined brighter. I would so too if someone said my mother must be proud of me.

"We've met before. At the investment conference," Jeno exclaimed

Mother stopped to think and a wider smile grew on her face.

"You're right, you were one of the representatives. No wonder you looked familiar, or is it that I've seen the both of you on television," Hyun Nam's mother giggled.

"Well, I don't want to bother you anymore. This woman needs to go home and rest. Bye, my dearest," Mother kissed Hyun Nam on her cheek and hugged her tightly. She waved them goodbye as she went out the doors with her group of friends, pointing at her watch when she locked eyes with Hyun Nam to signify that she shouldn't be home too late.

"I like your mother. She's nice," Jaemin said while watching the group of ladies disappear into their own cars. The night carried on with the same laughter and chatter they always have when meeting with each other, people started to leave one by one until they were the only ones there.

"You know what, I've been meaning to ask. Is it okay for us to actually go eat out together? I mean, I think it's alright if you both go out alone, but with me? A girl? Is it okay?" Hyun Nam wondered. They both were definitely not going to say it was okay but they seemed relaxed.

"We asked our managers already, they didn't allow it at first but Jeno begged them-"

"No, I didn't. Jaemin did. He kneeled on the floor, too," Jeno stifled a laugh.

"No! I- Whatever. They allow us only if we use masks and eat at a secluded or empty place at the restaurant. However, we do know how crazy some fans can get-"

"They're not fans-"

Hyun Nam could sense an awful tension between them right now. Whatever the tension was, it was triggered by the 'fans' they mentioned.

"I don't know if this is okay to say or ask..." Hyun Nam mumbled to them but they nodded, ready to answer anything Hyun Nam pulled out.

"Are you talking about those stalkers? I think their names are..."

"Sasaengs."

Hyun Nam was caught off guard by Jeno's sudden aggression. He looked and sounded angry, mad. But maybe sad, too. His face was a bundle of emotions. Hyun Nam searched his face for any trace of the smile he had when he met her mother but it was long gone. Jaemin didn't have as much anger on his face or he hid it very well. She knew better than to ask more about it, but they continued the conversation themselves.

"You know when you can't do anything about a problem?" Jeno hissed.

"Like when you feel your hands are tied?" Hyun Nam sighed and they both nodded. That must be true. They were artists and agencies also have a hard time getting rid of these stalkers, especially a big one like SM who have more than artists. Though, she understood what they're feeling. She has been feeling that all her life but was too scared to tell anyone about it. They paid the bill in a gloomy mood, but Hyun Nam succeeded to cheer them up a bit as they walked outside the restaurant.

"I'll see you guys soon," Hyun Nam cheered and squeezed their arms tightly, trying to get rid of the bad feeling. As Mr. Jungho drove away, she saw them both watching her before they headed off to their dorms. Besides the fact it ended in a bad mood, meeting her friends sparked joy in Hyun Nam.

"Good evening, Dad," Eunkyung greeted and sat at the dining table. Dinner that night was seafood, but Hyun Nam was too full from the sushi she ate an hour ago.
"Why aren't you eating?" Father curiously asked Hyun Nam.

"I'm just not hungry right now, besides I ate dinner outside with Mom," Hyun Nam smiled at her mother who came in and sat down at the table as well.

"The sushi was amazing! They were really nice," Mother replied with a smile but she glanced at Hyun Nam before turning her gaze to Father. Hyun Nam had a feeling her mother wasn't commenting on the food, but Jeno and Jaemin.

"Well, you should invite us three next time," Father gave a half-smile, probably sensing something wasn't right but he dismissed the thought as he continued eating. Though Hyun Nam and Mother weren't eating, they still sat at the table to talk about their days. The atmosphere was lighter than usual, even her sisters were laughing and she felt not a single glare was laid on her. Weird. But she enjoyed it, it's been a while since they actually looked like a family.

It was 12 am and Hyun Nam just finished an assignment due the next day, she had a thing for procrastination. The house was quiet, her room was dark, and the only thing that lit it was her bedside table lamp and desk lamp. Her phone lit up with a ding. "Today was fun, sorry I messed up the mood." A text was sent from Jeno. She hurriedly turned off her desk lamp and slumped onto her bed, squeezing the pillow tight to her chest. "I enjoyed the food and I don't mind, I understand it's something you don't like to talk about," she replied and turned off her phone, waiting for Jeno's next text. "Actually, looking at my schedule, I' m free to go anywhere for a couple of hours in 2 weeks. Maybe Starfield? Saturday in 2 weeks?" he asked. Hyun Nam opened her phone and the same adrenaline rush coursed through her. She didn't know what she was feeling. She has never felt this way before. Her fingers were itching to reply back but for some reason, she was too nervous. Too nervous to mess something up, maybe. Her whole body made her want to jump all around but at the same time, she wanted to hug herself tightly. She was feeling all sorts of emotions she couldn't understand. She wished she could talk about this to someone but the only one she could was her mom, and for some reason, she didn't feel this was right to talk to her mom about. "I would love that," she quietly answered and whispered a silent 'good night' to no one before tucking herself in. No one. Or maybe someone, actually. She smiled.

-----------------------------------------------------

Author: If you enjoyed the chapter, don't forget to vote! Leave any comments/DMs for feedback, I would very much appreciate them. Thank you once again <3