Chapter 15 - Hyun Nam

//tw death and blood !!

The birds flew across the hundreds of little humans running around on the beach. The sun greeted everyone with a big smile on her face and the ocean had been welcoming to her visitors. The island across stood proudly facing the beach as several boats and jetskis swarmed it.

"Mom, look at what I made!"

A little girl with a sunflower swimsuit pulled her mother to the sandcastle she made, placing a red flag on top of the tallest tower.

The mother smiled and kissed her daughter's forehead, kneeling down to observe the work.

"It's beautiful, Hyun Nam," she said.

"Mom! Hyun Nam!" two girls shouted, giggling while playing in the water.

The mother lifted up her youngest and ran towards the ocean where her two other daughters were waiting for them. They splashed, jumped, and swam. Whoever knew them would know that the smiles they had were the biggest ones they had for a while.

Bang! Bang!

The mother and her daughters went silent, as did all the people around them. Shouts and screams were heard in the distance. The sun's smile disappeared, covered in clouds. The ocean wanted to protect them but she knows she will harm them even more.

"Girls, run!" the mother shouted to her daughters, carrying her youngest out of the water while the two ran beside them. Families headed out from the water and the beach had no more joy in it. It was swallowed by fear. The woman gripped her daughters' hands tightly as they all ran away. All the mother could think of was to keep her daughter safe. She used every part of her brain to think of an escape route while the shots were heard again. She could see the pool was already filled with crimson. Though she was far away from it, shivers went down her spine. There was nobody in the forest. The mother took a turn and ran to the trees. The shouts and shots began to fade but they continued to run. Her legs wanted to crumble, her hands wanted to give up. But no, her responsibility as a mother wasn't done yet, and she wasn't thinking of ending it here. An angel must've sent a miracle because an empty, small shack stood before them.

"Inside," she whispered and stumbled to get all her daughters in. The shack was run down, dirty, and had plenty of insects. But if this was the key to keep them safe, then she would enter it gladly.

"Hide here," she ordered her daughters to hide in a dark corner where their little bodies won't be seen.

Just when she was about to walk out of the shack to see the situation, she stepped on something she wasn't supposed to. How could I be so stupid? It was a run-down shack. Blood trickled from her foot, spreading to the floor.

"Mom!" the eldest wanted to shout but her mom kept a finger to her mouth, still hearing the gunshots. The needle went in deep enough she wasn't able to do anything about it besides covering it up so less blood would spill.

"Here," the second eldest gave her mother a worn-out bandage. It was covered with dry stains but it was better than nothing. Her mother winced at the pain. She extended her leg and hugged her daughters tightly to take her mind off it.

The gunshots were still heard and for some reason, it sounded closer. They must've arrived at the beach they were in previously.

"Are we going to die?" the eldest asked, holding in her tears.

"No, we're not, Eun Kyung. I'm here," their mother tried to smile to comfort them.

"Are you going to protect us?" the youngest asked, holding her older sister's hand tighter.

Their mother smiled and sighed.

"As long as I'm here, you will not be harmed. I will protect you three with my life," she said and brought them closer to her body to warm them up as the rain started pouring. The holes of the roof let the raindrops fall on the 4 people in the shack and it wasn't after a while the gunshots died and they were woken up by the sirens.